Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Cancel On Hong Kong Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 497Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1705 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this will help but here it is.

It's the 1937 stamp.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
577 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely thread. Good work everyone.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the scan Bobby, and thanks for the kind words wkusau.

I was looking at eBay lots today, and spotted this in a $140 Hong Kong collection. It looks like a brother to my stamp in the OP. Too much to pay for just one stamp, but there has to be a cover out there somewhere, with the entire Canadian cancel on Hong Kong stamps. The hunt goes on...

Linus

(image snipped from eBay)

Valued Member
India
455 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus

Quote:

I would be grateful if anyone can help me figure it out.

Linus

Quote:

The hunt goes on...

The postmark is PAQUEBOT POSTED AT SEA machine paquebot cancel of Victoria, Canada but from different machine.

It is Dovey and Morris 2320/Hosking 1071/Joestens V6b cancel, recorded used in 1928–39.

This how the complete cancel looks like, struck on a Nihon 1926 6 Sen Toshogu Shrine, Nikko definitive.

Details can be found in,

Paquebot Cancelations of the World and More…

Ed. Michael Dovey and Keith J Morris.
The TPO and Seapost Society, Gorsley, England
2010 4th Ed.
Part A: Paquebot Cancellations
Chapter XII: Canada; pp.156-7
Valued Member
India
455 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus

Quote:

I think it was cancelled in the USA, or perhaps Canada?

No USA PAQUEBOT POSTED AT SEA machine paquebot cancel exists.
Valued Member
India
455 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus

Quote:

I answered my own question searching on eBay, where I found this cover.

The cancel is Dovey and Morris 2319/Hosking 2623/Joestens V6a/Studd B160, not the one on HK 1921 20c SG 125.
Valued Member
India
455 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222

Quote:

HALIFAX ? Gentlemen?

Rod, it is highly improbable that a Canada east coast port paquebot cancel was struck on a HK stamp.
All the Canadian paquebot cancels found on HK stamps are from Pacific coast port cities.
Pillar Of The Community
3473 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Joy illustrates, the lettering in these slogan boxes different. It is typically hand-set for casting, thus there are alignment differences from row to row, differences in the shapes of the letters, etc. It often makes it possible to determine the exact city from among the very similar look-a-likes.

This is also true with many U.S. slogans, as an example, those advertising the Panama-Pacific Expo and the 3 from Cleveland in 1913 for Perry's Victory.

Back to the two Victoria paquebot examples shown most recently:
the Aug 19, 1932 cancel is from a Universal machine
the Dec 12, 1936 is from a Perfect machine
Note the size difference of the year-date type.

This has been a very interesting thread as the posts have honed-in on the solution starting with only a very small piece of cancel.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this is fun when the knowledge flows out.

Thank you very much, Joy, for the detailed information on my cancel and the reference source book recommendation. I can see the differences in the two cancels. I would love to have a copy of "Paquebot Cancelations of the World and More…" at a decent price. I also would love to find entire covers of both the Universal machine cancel and the Perfect machine cancel, struck on Hong Kong stamps, of course. I appreciate your knowledge, Joy.

Thanks John and everyone for your help. I also do have the Panama-Pacific Expo cancels in my collection, and I may start a new thread showing them soon.

Linus
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 497Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05