Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia 2 1/2d. Are These Slip Prints?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In looking through my copies, I have only found these two with this odd "doubling", but probably a "kiss" print. Perhaps the paper was a bit wet in these areas? Not listed in ACSC, as far as I can tell. What would you call these marks?

Both are Scott 4, first watermark, Die II, ACSC 9. The watermark does not show any marginal lines. (Note that I may have posted the pictures in a much earlier thread, but I didn't find an answer).

First example shows markings in "AU" of Australia and surrounding the 2 1/2d numeral block.

The second copy appears to have this same issue with the right side of the stamp. It starts as the "U" of Australia, and almost all of the right side. The "A" of Postage is particularly affected. There is a slight indication in Roo's tail.

I'm looking for the correct descriptive term of this feature. Not any additional value, I'm sure, but pretty nice presentation pieces.

Edit. First pictures replaced.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Partime - 02/15/2021 4:52 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have nothing.
Not seen before, the blue shading lines, I would have as "Ink Pull"
but that is mere speculation.
Postmark: Fremantle Western Australia

The "I" flaw, on the 5 penny, is a cracker, surprised to see that one not listed!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/15/2021 4:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod. Thanks for your comments. I fixed the pictures.

Concerning the 5p, the item is actually located at:

http://goscf.com/t/54858&whichpage=29#681888

The variety itself is known and listed in ACSC. What is not listed is the odd small mark on the A of Postage, and the more obvious notch under the kangaroo's ear. Perhaps these two last things are not the defining attributes.

I hope to hear more about the slip/kiss print items.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
Posted 02/16/2021   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime, my basic understanding of a slip print is a slip during the printing process, a blanket, a roller or even the paper "slips". I can't remember if this also includes still wet sheets being moved after they have come off the press.
Kiss print is what it sounds like, a light touch of the plate touching the paper, not a fully printed impression, with all the details present. Hope this helps and someone else can provide further details.
I forgot to comment on the stamp:
Those are plate flaws, whether a true constant flaw, a retouch of the plate or foreign matter on the plate. I'am not well versed on the Roos', but I assume there is a ton of info concerning the flaws of these issues, just like the KGVI high value key plates.
Edited by Tongman65 - 02/16/2021 01:42 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05