Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does Dpo Mean On This Cancel?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,151Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This cancel is a Cleveland Ohio postmark but at bottom of the round, are the initials D. P. O.. What do they stand for?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Michael Darabaris

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6681 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure it isn't a smudged "C"?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4498 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely "D.P.O."

Here is a link to a previous thread which suggests two possibilities of "Depot Post Office" and "Distributing Post Office":
http://goscf.com/t/71160

And this link which suggests "Downtown Post Office"
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=28085

It would be good to find a reference contemporary to the cancels.
Edited by John Becker - 02/17/2021 3:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

From the January 1881 Post Office Guide

Don
Pillar Of The Community
4498 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1881 isn't very contemporary, is it?
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   4:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being snarky isn't going to solicit much additional input, is it?
I was working in the the Postal Guides and saw this, sorry for bothering to reply. To quote you, "I wont make this mistake again".
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2903 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a return address on the back? It might be useful in guessing at which office this originated from, and then possibly the type from Postal Guide info.

51studebaker's find does give a possible clue, but remember, this is an order to stop using D.P.O. as a designation (in printed wooden labels). Now here it is in 192??, used in a cancel. Something very much closer to the date for the cover is really needed to interpret what D.P.O. meant at that time.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/17/2021 4:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4498 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I was not trying to be snarky, I merely pointed out in my original post to this thread that a *contemporary* reference would be the best source for a definitive conclusion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DPO or distributing post office goes back before the RPO system was established. I do not think registered mail regulations covering registered package envelopes would apply to a special delivery item; however, have not researched this point in any detail. Anything interesting on the back side of this item?
Pillar Of The Community
1437 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In THE UNITED STATES POST OFFICE, a book published in 1917 and authored by Daniel Roper, in chapter XI on "Railway Mail Service" DPO/Distributing Post Office appears to be a synonym for an RPO. I suppose the term could have meant the same in 1920-something.

Here's a google link to the book:

https://www.google.com/books/editio...YwA3oECAYQCA
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36249 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Searching the book, I could get this
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36249 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://stamporama.com/discboard/di...=20&id=13054
Author : Rhinelander

re: D.P.O. Diplomatic Post Office?
Following up on my January 1 posting: The answer is documented in the May 2015 edition of the PMCC Bulletin. I know that because I have the annual index, but I cannot locate this edition. I probably gave it away at a stamp club meeting. This is not a journal I typically keep for reference.

In any event, distributing pot offices are part of the RPO system. A friend could actually share the exact location. The Cleveland DPO was at the railroad immediately by the Terminal Tower.

The city PO delivered mail and cancelled out going mail.

The Cleveland DPO cancelled mail received at the station with the unique DPO marking. The Cleveland postmarks used at the DPO are distinct with the large circular dial. There are many different numbers in the barrel cancel documented. I am not sure all state "DPO" in the cancel, however. Perhaps, if someone has access to the May PMCC Bulletin there will be additional information.

Arno
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1015 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone seen DPO in a postmark other than Cleveland, Ohio? If not, I would suggest it refers to a Cleveland-specific office, i.e. Depot or Downtown.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   08:39 am  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here is back side if it helps.

Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

Look at the history of the RPO system. It replaced the distributing post office system thus the reference to how its predicesor handled the mail. I have seen several major cities use the term "terminal" station or branch to indicate the place at which train carried mail entered the city. And then, later, there is the advent of air mail which was under the prevue of the RPO system.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   11:12 am  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So It looks like it is determined that D.P.O. stands for: Distribution Post Office as part of the rail road service? So here is another circle cancel with M.O.B. at bottom. any ideas?

Michael Darabaris
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,151Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05