Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Feel Silly, But Have To Ask....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 509Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this is a Scott Type A995, no. 1592. Found it going though some envelopes. Was this cut from a post card? Its cancelled but it looks to be on a firm type card paper. What is it from?? Perfs are punched out. Was it cut, used and soaked ? if so the indentations on the sides are weird.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3473 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 1617, coil stamp.
Notches and knifed-edges at left/right created by an automatic affixer, which was slightly out of adjustment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So you think they've been peeled off the envelope or whatever they were on? There is no paper, etc, under the perfs....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1211 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peeled or soaked. Possibly a postcard mailing between 1995 and 2000 when the postcard rate was 20 cents. I still have some of these old 10 cent stamps in my postage pile.
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing soaked. But the paper feels pretty stiff. Unlike a regular stamp today. Looks as if it's it's still attached to something which is why I thought it to be weird with the perfs so perfect and no paper envelope or card remnant.
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Peeled or soaked. Possibly a postcard mailing between 1995 and 2000 when the postcard rate was 20 cents. I still have some of these old 10 cent stamps in my postage pile.

So im still confused, sorry.... So the image of the back I posted, do you know if this this normal paper for this issue? It does not look like regular rotary paper im thinking. Tks Wm
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why don't you just soak it in some clean lukewarm water and see if a layer of paper/residue floats away?
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to know what it is before I do that. I know it's not the Rosetta Stone most likely, but, I don't get if it's been peeled from something already how the perf holes are so perfect with no remnant of paper or anything? Any multiple of stamps I've ever had that were still on the item have never had the perfs punched out. Conversely, stamps I've had that have been peeled or removed of this vintage have a different paper. Just wondering before I soak. Don't get it.
Pillar Of The Community
3473 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp looks perfectly normal and natural. It looks like it has been soaked off its original mailing envelope/card. Another soaking will do nothing except remove the few little bits of dark debris. There is nothing else there to remove.
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your stamp looks perfectly normal and natural.

Thank you. I've never seen this type of paper before(but im relatively new at this and haven't done much US)..... appreciate it. Wm
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper for the Americana Series is stiffer and coarser than earlier issues. When soaked it is more difficult to uniformly flatten as it dries. The gum is difficult to totally remove from permeating the paper so the stamps tend to stick to whatever media is used to dry and press them. They need to completely dry. They will also stick to each other when pressed together in longer term storage. They 'pop' apart when forced leaving stuck bits on the backs. They can also stick to album and stockbook pages under pressure. The cancel appears to be the experimental purple ink from the early 1980s as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
374 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
now your talking - tks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5364 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PVA gum on these stamps should be removed during the soaking process by gently rubbing between thumb and finger. When returned to the water, their milky residue will be apparent. If all of the PVA gum is not removed (it is stubborn), it will cause the stamps to stick to stock book, album page, or other stamps in glassine envelopes causing damage.

So, this is preventable and predictable.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05