Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Must Read Siegel Despatch - Winter 2021

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 616Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5933 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The editorial/article by Scott Trepel regarding "Infrastructure" portends a lot of interesting developments in our hobby. Also some spectacular upcoming sales.

https://siegelauctions.com/desp/Despatch.pdf
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2542 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He is correct that there is a certain "critical mass" (minimum amount) of infrastructure needed to allow the hobby to continue in a significant way. In my opinion the internet has been a detriment to some of that infrastructure and an enhancement of other parts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   10:45 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
B grill - Oh Myyy
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott is right. "... Too many entry-level collectors get burned, either by bad material or inflated pricing, ... " This will continue as long as purveyors of material guilty of these practices are tolerated amongst us. Here is looking forward to a day in the near future when this will not be the situation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've enjoyed looking at these rarities catalogs for decades. Of course, these items are far beyond beyond the budgets of the vast majority of collectors.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link to the article. It was inspirational, though a little depressing, to think that some have the ability to purchase this kind of material. Almost seems these rarities belong in a museum instead of in private hands, but I feel that way often when I see works of art valued in the tens of thousands in private hands as well. Guess I am just jealous or envious.

Thank heavens the majority of us can still have a decent collection of reasonably priced materials to enjoy.

Does anyone have more information about the proposed remote philatelic training that is to be offered?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5933 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobbyT touched upon one of the key items in Scott's article. The reason I recommended reading the Despatch was this statement:

Quote:
we are going to work with the American Philatelic Society to develop a program for remotely teaching techniques to identify stamps and detect faults, repairs or forgeries, using kits containing actual examples that can be sent to par- ticipants and used in a teleconference class. When I mentioned this concept on the chatboard, within two minutes Scott English, the APS executive director, sent me an email saying "we're in" and asking what to do to make it happen. Over next summer we will be building the program, and hopefully by the fall it will be ready to activate.

I thought that this statement was important to note as well and am curious to see where it goes:

Quote:
Finally, the Siegel firm is committed to creating a space where new collectors feel secure buying stamps. Too many entry-level collectors get burned, either by bad material or inflated pricing, and the result is a rate of attrition that is higher than it should be. Graded certificates have helped protect collectors against the old ploy of "buy it as Fine and sell it as Very Fine," but there is still too much shortsighted transactional business in philately. Most collectors I have met do not set out to make money, but neither do they expect to have their inexperience used against them. From my perspective, a new client is a precious asset, to be nurtured, encouraged and given all the information needed to make smart decisions.

"Eyeonwall" had it right when he said
Quote:
In my opinion the internet has been a detriment to some of that infrastructure and an enhancement of other parts.

eBay comes to mind when you look at the upside/downside to e-commerce. It has brought voluminous material to the masses that was previously controlled by a relatively small group of dealers. It has also become a minefield for newer collector's and greedy more seasoned collector's. I wonder just how many people have turned away from stamps because of being burned. Impossible to quantify but somehow doing so would be invaluable. You need to quantify the damage in order to bring the proper level of attention and resources to combatting/fixing what caused it.

What would your stamp market "safe space" look like?
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, eBay. "It has brought voluminous material to the masses that was previously controlled by a relatively small group of dealers." They [these dealers] are the real cartel controling our hobby in the name of helping it but rather to help themselves. However, with this new econmic freedom comes a higher level of personal responsibility on the individual collector. Knowledge acquired through education and experience is the key to the future of our hobby in general and new individual collectors
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am all for personal responsibility but when it comes to beginner stamp collectors? How does a beginner know if she is getting ripped off?

I Love E-Bay, but it is the Wild West. I was shocked to learn that this cartel could still be operating even after the leader was jailed. And people are bidding on material put on E-Bay by him or his associates. How has E-Bay allowed that to happen?

Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning BobbyT and all,

The short qick answer to your question is probably not as short and quick as you might like but it is honest. Like any other advocation or profession or business endeavor philately takes time and effort to study the subject gradully building your experience level over time.

This board shares much useful information with collectors. It is a great place to ask questions. Yes, there can be bargins out there on eBay and from dealers. Things sell when a seller finds a willing buyer at an agreed to price. Always look at how similar items have sold or not sold to establish the going price range.

Stay within your price range on individual items and hobby expenditures in total. Enjoy what you acquire and your journey in our hobby.
Edited by hoosierboy - 03/08/2021 11:51 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05