Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Learn About The World From Your Stamp Collection Today?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 682Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
678 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve, I hope you are well.

This is what I discovered (Because I knew nothing when I bought it).

Prior to the Fair, there were some prominent early feminists (in Missouri) that were working tirelessly for Women's right to vote - and for Women's rights overall.

Though women's rights were beginning to get attention during
the 1904 World's Fair, they still did not have the right to vote
in Missouri. The "Show Me State" had to wait for the US
Congress to pass the 19th Amendment to the Constitution
which finally granted women the right to vote. On August 31,
1920, Marie Ruoff Byrum of Hannibal became the first woman
voter in the state of Missouri.

Aware of the emerging feminist ideas of the time, the Fair's officials established a Board of Lady Managers. Composed of 23 women that represented every geographic of the country, the women helped set guidelines and decency codes (especially for the racy Pike attractions), at the 1904 Exposition. Mrs. James L. Blair was the first President of the Board, which was situated in the Physics Building at Washington University. The organizers also decided to not include a women's building at the Fair, as it would suggest an apartness rather than an integration of equality. There were many women exhibits at the State buildings and palaces, including prominent displays at the Palaces of Manufactures and Varied Industries. Mrs. Daniel Manning, who was once married to the US Secretary of the Treasury, used her influence and contacts to gain 4.5 million dollars for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company.

Now in terms of the postmark - I have to assume that because these Lady Managers were from all over, this particular Post Card went from Indiana to NY (from one Lady manager to another)confirming the receipt of a report from the fair -honestly that part I am not 100% sure on. :). Anyhow - If I hadn't picked up this card I would never have known a Board of Lady managers existed. Nora.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
675 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It might have been the report in this link

https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/2906678
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Nora. Once again you've proven that there is almost always an interesting story behind older postal history pieces.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 682Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05