Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canal Zone Anybody?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,512Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just getting back into the hobby, and this is just something else to add to my collecting goals.

I'm trying to be a sponge and just absorb everything in these topics, but the knowledge you all share is going to make my head explode.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going Postal. This thread on Canal Zone philately is so far the best place to hang out for the subject mater.

I am not nearly as experienced as most people on here, but I know something about CZ stamps and have oodles of em, so if I can be of any help, give me a shout after you get 50 or more posts.

John
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate that Jomic. At some point I will get to 50 posts, and get my collecting situation into some kind of order. But I am enjoying this re-found interest in the hobby again.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 01/04/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few Canal Zone Postal Cards

This card I believe to be Scott # UX2 with date of 2/22/10 on reverse

This card is a Scott US # UX65 BUT since it has Canal Zone stamps on it, I thought it appropriate to post it here. The CZ stamps are # 27 & # 105. Reverse side reads July 14, 1976 and also has 72nd Birthday on it.

UXC2 w/1c #105 Mt Hope Printed
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 01/04/2022   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenuermd

We are interested in liquor meters. We have two articles in process covering the topic. They should be out in the 2nd or 3rd quarter issue is the Canal Zone Philatelist.

We would love to see an example still on a bottle or label.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going through my old stash I found these two first day of issue covers addressed to myself. Not to have my real name on the post, I've blotted out my middle initial and last name.

I served in the army in the Canal Zone from 1962-65. I had nearly every conceivable combination of the Golden Anniversary stamps canceled on the day of issue. Note how the postal clerk took care in canceling the stamps, leaving most of the stamps clear.

I have sold or given away all the other covers mentioned. I must have kept these for nostalgia.

If anyone wants one of these covers, let me know hereon. One per member, first come first served.

They are free and after I receive your mailing address via email, I will mail them to you for free.

John
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   10:27 am  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all! Reference the above offer of a Canal Zone First Day of Issue Cover, I will be departing tomorrow morning, Sunday, Jan 9, 2022 traveling to Phoenix, AZ to visit some friends and then have a triple bypass on the 13th. So those of you who get your requests in after tonight can expect their cover to not be mailed until about a month or so from now. Sooner if I can.

Take care and happy SCF'ing!!

John
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   4:11 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice Air mail cover from Paramount Pictures in the Canal Zone to Quito, Ecuador.

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   1:08 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's keep the Canal Zone thread alive! There are so many wonderful things about collecting Canal Zone stamps and associate philately. One area I especially enjoy is all the variations of the early overprints on the Columbia and or Panama stamps. I'll be posting some of them soon. John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, John.
Here's a set you don't see every day. It is one of only 200 sets known to exist. Only the 1c and 2c were issued.

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   3:33 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
uboatnut, WOW, Congratulations on your collection of the Feb, 1924 Canal Zone issue of Type III overprint in black, reading up, applied by the Mount Hope Press Scott #'s 67 68, 69 - 69g!! AND one of only 200 sets known out of only 400 set minted. Estimate retail value about $12,500.00?

I've amassed hundreds and hundreds of CZ stamps and haven't seen one of these even in used condition.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John:

600 mint sets were saved; the rest of the sheets were destroyed. The UPU was sent 400 sets and the remaining 200 "got away" somewhere. How many of those missing sets still exist and/or remain in private hands is estimated to be between 120 and 200.

Since only the 1c and 2c stamps were ever issued, those are the only ones you'll find postally USED, and examples are fairly common. Several are listed on eBay right now The 5c - 1b only exist as MINT or UNUSED HINGED, as they were never issued for postal use.

The PF has certified a few as FAVOR CANCELLED, and a set of these is available from Buystamps now on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/383690636905

eBay also has a few of the unissued SPECIMEN stamps right now.

My set is unused, OG, hinged. The 2021 Scott CV for the set is $2,647. I bought this set at Kelleher Auctions for $1,140 in June of 2021. I was quite surprised to get it so cheaply.

However, if you wish to purchase it, I will gladly part with it for only half of your quoted CV, shipping and insurance included.

Edited by uboatnut - 02/27/2022 4:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
uboatnut -- I was going to make the same offer and sell my extra set for 1/2 the estimate. I think that was the Blk of 4 value. There is a set in the Dutch Country March auction Lot 529
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The upcoming issue of the Canal Zone Philatelist (journal of the Canal Zone Study Group) will have a feature article on the Panama Arms issue overprinted for the Canal Zone. It looks at the design and printing of the issue. It was overprinted by the American Banknote Company, not locally at Mount Hope. The 1c & 2c were available at the post office less than 6 months before the abrogation of the Taft Agreement.

Issue should be out to members by mid-March. http://canalzonestudygroup.com/
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 03/03/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a few of the varieties or? that I mentioned earlier:

Low E in Zone

Slanted crossbar of first A. This is the first one I've seen that is slanted down right; all the others I've seen are slanted down left.

Looks like CANAI for CANAL. Arrow shows length that L should be.

I have seen soooo many more, but have sold most of them such as ONE for ZONE, ZONE CANAL, upside-down V's for A's, upside-down W's for M's, upside down N's where the serif is on the right leg instead of the left leg, double overprints, many broken letters. etc. Can you add some pictures?

John
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,512Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05