Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canal Zone Anybody?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,491Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
Bahamas
404 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tefloncinco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes I have some canal zone stamps, will post some more later

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that I found a block of four, president stamps with a canal zone over print. I will look it up later and post and image.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the 1/2 cent and 1 and 1/2 cent prexies were overprinted for use in the Canal Zone.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Thanks Anthony, I think I have the 1 1/2 cent one. Are they common?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are common mint. Uncommon used. Scarce on cover.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Valued Member
Bahamas
404 Posts
Posted 08/15/2012   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tefloncinco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canal Zone (Wet or Dry) you got mail I got some planes today.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/18/2012   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Benjamin Franklin Half Cent prexie overprinted for use in the Canal Zone uprating a one cent Theodore Roosevelt stamped envelope to pay the bulk rate for this item.

I believe this cover was used during the opening of the Margarita Post Office in the early 1950's (1952 I think) to advise them of their new address.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 08/19/2012   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of those novelty mailing cards. It's a tri-fold probably purchased in the gift shop aboard the ship SS Ecuador, operated by the Pacific Mail Steamship company.

The inside shows the "Cold Buffet" Menu.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/19/2012   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an attractive item.

It is traditional to serve cold food during the warm part of the day. That orange meringue pie sounds yummy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/20/2012   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opening day of New Curundu Post Office

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always nice to relax with a magazine.

Uncommon France Field duplex, 1937.
Edited by smauggie - 08/24/2012 11:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that this thread has started it seems that every pile of covers I go through I find one.

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smauggie, the France Field duplex is fairly scarce. I sold one on eBay in June for $15+, which strikes me as a lot for a 1930s Canal Zone cancel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...280894763589
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I happen to know that a block with 3 examples of Canal Zone Scott No. 20d lost for the last 100 years will be coming up at auction soon. There were 10 errors created, all were discovered about 1912 and than all were lost until the 1970's when 5 or 6 were rediscovered. Now these 3 have been found.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 597596 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry looks like I may ruin the topic since I only have stampless CZ cancels to add, recycled from an older post at that!

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,491Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05