Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canal Zone Anybody?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,490Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have just the cut squares or the whole cover. Would be interesting to see where it was sent from and to.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 597596 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
only cut squares
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 08/31/2012   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 597596 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a qualifier, A Canal Zone Cover!Is APO 834-Quarry Heights, Canal Zone? Is it me? or does "VIA" Look like the "V" is an upside down "A"?

Edited by 597596 - 08/31/2012 10:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/01/2012   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one!
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one popped up in a box of covers.

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
17c overprint 4x on cover

1st printing, 9mm between words;
2nd printing, 7mm between words.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
9mm from bottom of Canal to top of Zone

*Edit for fat fingers*
Edited by stallzer - 09/22/2012 7:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
616 Posts
Posted 09/23/2012   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minor correction: The Canal Zone U10 stamped envelope has the image of William C. Gorgas, not Teddy Roosevelt.

Gorgas was the chief sanitary officer for the canal project.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 02/11/2013   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lnadybal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone seen a copy of the Canal Zone 5-cent Stevens with phosphor overprint actually used on a cover? Scott 164a, 1977 (there were two years during which it could have been used). Any idea how many were printed and how many were destroyed after the end of the CZ Postal Service? Scott lists a used copy with a value of $15 - but if none have ever been seen on a cover, how could they be priced used (unless someone has soaked them all off covers they had)....
LN

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 02/11/2013   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a great rarity from the Canal Zone, which will serve to correct a mistaken perception about APS Expertizing.

The APS WILL expertize repaired stamps, and make note of the repairs. This inverted center was found in an old collection, wonderfully repaired by a gentleman in Montreal, then submitted to APS, where it was found "genuine in all respects."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 02/11/2013   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the only cover I have to share...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 05/19/2013   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have picked up a couple of CZ covers.

There were no Canal Zone special delivery stamps, so US special delivery stamps were used. Finding them on cover is always a treat.

Registered covers of this time are not particularly scarce, but there were two aspects that drew me to this cover. The first is that there is a registration stub pasted to the cover, which is a bit unusual.

Second, the registration number is unusual, as it is an "official" registration number. This cover was used to send Canal Zone stamps ordered by a customer in the US. the PA in the PA-9 registry number stands for Postal Agency.

This cover also exhibits well the philatelically-sensitive killer cancel adopted by the Canal Zone in the last several years of its operation, the small circle cancel.

At first, I thought this just an attractive commercial cover, but then I realized the stamps were no ordinary prexies. This was mailed five months after the release of Canal Zone Scott 118-9, the only prexie stamps overprinted for use in the Canal Zone. It is hard to say whether this is a philatelic usage or usage by someone who just assumed they would be good for US postage.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Including one 'Special Delivery' for smauggie !

I acquired a number of Canal Zone covers in a few lots, but not being a Canal Zone collector I disposed of some along the way.

Here's a couple I scanned for eBay, but I dont think they sold, however I cant physically find them at the moment. I did find 5 others - 4c scouts, 6c, 8c, 10c - which I will scan once I get time.

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 05/20/2013 01:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this 1966 Canal Zone which I also like for the Cinderellas on the rear.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   05:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May also be interesting for the Albrook Air force Base Postmark.

Are these earlier pre-printed Air Mail letters scarce? Couldn't find any on eBay ealier than the 60's

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 33,490Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05