Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Missionaries Of Africa

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 369Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came across a article about "Peres des Blancs"
while looking up a E.R.I stamp I got sucked into google wormhole and came across the missionaries of Africa
I got to thinking....did they have stamps? Like the Hawaiian missionaries

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4323 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 02/21/2021 7:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That has to be the simplest stamp I've ever seen!
Now I don't know if I'll get all this right but I'll try (probably over my head).
Ive seen old post cards from "missions des Peres blancs" not sure who printed them knowing there was no printing press in Africa available at the time and the Peres blancs where a Montreal based organization
Why didn't they have the C.b.n.c print them and send them over at some point?
Or did they do the postcards?
Probably have no clue what I'm talking about...
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 12:01 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31267 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where they the only ones used?
I'm pretty convinced I seen one of the postcards as a stamp
I don't have the image but it was a bearded man on a zebra
Can't find it on google and I got nothing on this sorta thing
It has to be something printed later then the stamps shown
A reprint or commemorative maybe?
Cinderella even
https://www.oldeastafricapostcards....-publishers/
The image is under Peres blancs/white fathers
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 12:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could be thinking of Juan Valdez the Columbian coffee guy :)
But I'm almost 100% sure when I first started going threw my collection
I seen something like that
Being new at the hobby I would have pushed it a side for something I didn't have...value
Knowing now value is in the journey to discovery, learning on the way
I found out something some history I didn't know about Africa and the missionaries
I'm sure there lots more to learn (like how to post a picture of the guy on the zebra)
If I do find it......I'll be sure to post the picture
I know it's not one of the above stamps (might not be a postage stamp at all)

Just realized to sorry to the people that thought this was about a Rare missionary stamp I mentioned Hawaiian missionary stamp cause well it was the only ones I knew about :) love to google for that
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 10:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5110 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those Uganda issues are very hard to find . The only ones I seen was in the inventory of Colonial Stamp Company of Beverly Hills ,California . The owner George would bring them to COMPEX in Chicago each year . Each year I would make a offer to buy them ,but we could never agree on price ,since I was buying other stuff from George he put up with me .Very pricey ,never seen them sell anywhere else ,if they do you would need a good cert .
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are if I do find the stamp I'm talking about it's a good chance it's a fake :)
I wouldn't think to pay to have something I wasn't already 100% sure about looked at, I'd call that a bad bet!
my level of experience is pretty novice to most here
That's why I ask a lot of questions (sometimes silly) but I appreciate all the help I've been getting from here
I'm learning more then just stamps I'm learning a better way to communicate (personal growth :)
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 10:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4323 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a picture off a screen so might be poor quality
But I swear I've seen this image as a stamp

Hope it's ok I use this image it's not mine

(I am finding some fun stuff hunting for this thing...if I even have it)
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 1:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I knew I seen that image!!!
Was in a random envelope (in stock book now)
I don't know what it is exactly might not be anything...I was stuck on stupid over the image
It's beat up, has a perforation of 11.5 ish

Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 3:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2970 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were vignettes from a booklet.circa 1900's well after the
peres blancs established themselves in sub equatorial Africa.

delcampe
Edited by perf12 - 02/22/2021 3:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
533 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
17 shy of the sheet :)
Glad it's figured out thanks
it was bugging me I knew I seen the image
Edited by Just_fella - 02/22/2021 4:00 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05