Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do We Know If Something Has Been Postally Used?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 251Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BobbyT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love birds, I love the idea of topical collecting, but wonder how far we have pushed stamp issuing authorities to print anything which was never intended to carry mail just to cater to our hobby?

I just was looking at the "Bird Auctions" and have to admit to feeling disgust as to how our hobby has been used to make money for every country willing to print topicals.

"Stamp collecting" after all, shouldn't it be about collecting things that were at least intended to be used for the mails?

I stopped collecting US stamps for this very reason - go to a post office and ask for stamps?

Surely I sound like an old timer, and I guess I am, but after 1940, I would rather see that my collection includes only genuinely created postal items otherwise I might as well collect labels from anywhere as long as they are pretty.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2941 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Topicals have been that way since the 60's. It was about money. Many countries issued large topical sets with different denominations. The higher denominations has almost zero postal need so never see postally used. The US will issue sets for collectors but at least all stamps typically have the same denomination.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 02/22/2021 06:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commemoratives have been a means of making money from stamp collectors since they first appeared. As have air-mail stamps. There is no postal need for either. The US Columbus series, or its 1930s issues featuring German airships are really no different in spirit from today's wallpaper, just more attractively designed.
Pillar Of The Community
537 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Stamp collecting" after all, shouldn't it be about collecting things that were at least intended to be used for the mails?

Where does it say so?

Proofs, essays, "cancelled," specimen and training school stamps were not intended to be used on mail. Yet, people collect them.
Edited by NSK - 02/22/2021 08:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5630 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it was issued and could be used to pay postage it is "real" whether you agree with the intent behind it or not. Frankly most stamps are fanciful in nature. Do you really need 20 different Flower/Heart/Flag stamps? No you could just issue the values needed mathematically to make a rate and those values could be very utilitarian looking and it is likely the hobby of stamp collecting would be virtually non-existent.

If people did not desire (pay for) so-called topical stamps they would go away.

Topical stamps have fired the imagination of many a young person, myself included, and brought them to the hobby, many times for life.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have good points for sure.

Specimens and proofs, though, are not they part of the production process?

Certainly I am glad that more people have been drawn to the hobby by the topicals I just feel used at times I guess.

To quote what I read here written by someone else, I am just saying what I do, not telling anyone else what to do.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31267 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just feel used at times I guess.

That is because you want something, other than what it is.
That feeling is valid to you, but not the truth.
Disregard anything that does not fit your discipline,
No need to categorise it. let it be.

If you want genuine postal use stamps, then perhaps collect covers.
with cancelled stamps?

Enjoy a hobby that satisfies all sorts of people in all sorts of ways, aims and desires.
Ornithology is a great discipline, lots to get your teeth into.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31267 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked my "Stanley Gibbons Collect Birds on Stamps"
Worldwide
7,500 stamps. 1,860 Bird Species

Fujeira, Ajman, Trucial States Included.
What is Fabulous, they list every example by Index Zoological name,
and every "type" in context.

Say you want to find every Nuthatch on a stamp, or the only example of a swallow Tanager on a postage stamp , is Venezuela SG#1752

Pillar Of The Community
908 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what you want. That's the first principle of stamp collecting.

CTO (cancelled to order) stamps have been around making quick money for dozens of postal administrations by selling "non-stamp" stamps for at least 60 years. Collect them if you like them. Don't if you don't.

I avoid them. And I avoid souvenir sheets. The number of souvenir sheets that some countries issue is hard to believe, and every one of them is entirely for the purpose of taking money out of collectors' pockets with no purpose in mailing anything. I'd guesstimate that about 90% of the souvenir sheets ever issued are pure garbage with no postal purpose whatsoever. When a country issued one every few years, that seemed fine. When a country issues a souvenir sheet for half its annual stamp issues, it's absurd. Unless you collect souvenir sheets, of course, which I'm sure someone specializes in. So I just don't collect them. Instead, I collect stamps that were issued -- as far as I can tell -- for postal use (probably).
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05