Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify Stamp - Maybe Farsi Writing?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 898Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info Joy, thanks so much.

GoBlue- I assume you are, like me, a long-suffering Michigan fan?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goblue79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks again Joy. I greatly appreciate all of the time and effort!

Hello shermae - yes, I'm a big Michigan fan. Did my undergraduate and graduate work there. Go Blue!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
649 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. If I understand, there are A) the 1884 stamps officially produced for postal use, B) the 1888-99 reprints, also produced officially, though for the philatelic market rather than for postal use, and C) forgeries produced by private persons attempting to defraud either the postal service or collectors.

If so, I wonder first whether the official reprints have ever been used postally and, second, how many outright forgeries were produced.
Edited by EMaxim - 03/06/2021 7:52 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
396 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I get some thoughts here? Have this couple I am trying to place. Noted that the "legitimate" color listed is ultramarine. I see only imperfs listed in SG and Scott - the only 2 catalogues I have. I see the top L red and the next green have sunburst - revenues? No designs I see have the dagger(?) like the R corner blue - fake? Bottom L, red, I have seen in other posts, but imperf - fake? Bottom R, no idea - color, reprint??

Edited by Stamps4Life - 03/23/2021 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Comprehensive discussion of Indian States on stampboards. Presented/segregated by individual stamp-issuing entity.
Valued Member
Learn More...
396 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Comprehensive discussion of Indian States on stampboards. Presented/segregated by individual stamp-issuing entity.

oops, sorry.... I did a search here and this thread came up. Did I post in the wrong thread?
Valued Member
India
460 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

1 is Faridkot 1888 1F die II rose red lithograph posthumous reprint with perf.12, printed in sheets of 156 (13×12) or 160 (16×10) and sold by Faridkot State Post to the public as an extra source of revenue, after the enactment of the Postal Convention on Jan 1,1887, which resulted in all Faridkot state postage stamps invalid for postage.

2. ibid but having gray blue color

3. Nawanagar 1 Dokro SG 1

4 is already well described.
These Faridkot 1888 ½A posthumous reprints were issued both as imperforate as well as with perf.12.

5 has dual identity.
It is Faridkot 1888 1P rose red imperf. posthumous reprint, printed in sheets of 72 (9×8), with (smudged) barred circular F favor cancel.

The same stamp is listed by Köppel and Manners as Faridkot 1882 (year is wrong) 1P rose red Köppel and Manners type 10 revenue stamp (K&M 103a) but it did not see any fiscal use.
Valued Member
Learn More...
396 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you joy. That is a big help and I will be reading more on it today to get them in the album.
Valued Member
Learn More...
396 Posts
Posted 04/05/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

1 is Faridkot 1888 1F die II rose red lithograph posthumous reprint with perf.12, printed in sheets of 156 (13×12) or 160 (16×10) and sold by Faridkot State Post to the public as an extra source of revenue, after the enactment of the Postal Convention on Jan 1,1887, which resulted in all Faridkot state postage stamps invalid for postage.

2. ibid but having gray blue color

Hi Joy - question - know you said #1 and #2 are reprints.... That said, is it expected then that the images are to different too from original? Mine have sunbursts, etc. Image in SG does not. Thank you.
Valued Member
India
460 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Faridkot 1888 1F reprints, though basically based on the design of issued Faridkot 1879 1F SG N1 stamp, differ considerably in many aspects from the original issue.

For the 1F reprints, 2 new different copper dies (the 1F reprints here are all from die II) were engraved with the design in reverse. Impressions from the dies were taken on intermediate transfer papers from which the design was transferred onto the lithographic stones which were used to print the 1F reprints.

Apart from the color, the easiest way to distinguish 1F originals and reprints is that the originals all have uneven horizontal outer framelines whereas the reprints have perfectly straight framelines.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 898Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05