Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Are Sellers Still Using USPS?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 568Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   08:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why are sellers/shippers still using USPS? I purchased some costly stamps online in the first week of Feb. The seller used USPS 'Priority' mail and the inevitable happened, the parcel has been wandering around since then with no firm delivery date in sight. After purchasing, I asked the seller to use a different carrier and offered to pay the difference but they refused.

I am not frustrated by USPS, I am frustrated that some sellers keep using USPS when it is clear that delays are currently going to be experienced. The delays have been known since November, why would any quality seller not be using a carrier other than USPS by now? Grr.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1437 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What other shipping service is available for anywhere near the same cost? I tried the Fedex site and couldn't find a service for less that $35 for an item weighing less than 1 lb. I ship everything in 12X12 LP record boxes and pay $3.50 with USPS. Buyers are extremely cost sensitive when it comes to shipping.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using the Express Saver (3 day) FedEx small box (12" x 11" up to 20 pounds) it is $9-$12 depending upon distance, this is only slightly more than the equivalent USPS (Regional Rate A or B) box for me. I still use USPS for things like Stamp Smarter prizes or other discounted items.

But when a buyer offers to pay the difference I would think that a seller would welcome the change. And on more costly items I think that sellers should consider giving buyers an option. if nothing else offering an option would greatly reduce push back from buyers when the USPS is going to be late.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1437 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check out the Fedex small box again but when I used the Fedex calculator I didn't see that. I tried UPS flat rate but it didn't seem to work well for us. Knock on wood but I haven't had any trouble yet. I sent 4 medium or large USPS Priority boxes each week and haven't had any mishaps. If someone requests a different shipping service I would try to comply but so far I've not had any requests for a change in service.

I ship 25 packages a week using the 1st Class Package service and these are all under 13 oz. I don't think there are any cost effective alternatives to the USPS for these items.

Ken
Edited by KRelyea - 02/23/2021 10:55 am
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:04 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The FedEx Flat rate link is here https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shippin...-and-packing
Scroll down to the rates section of the page (a bit hidden behind a 'expandable' drop down thingy).

And FedEx seemed to take about 10 days to send me the free packaging supplies, a bit longer than USPS.

I only am using the FedEx 'Envelope' (plain cardboard flat), ''Pak' (soft bubble envelope), and 'small box' services. For me these are only a small premium (a dollar or two) over USPS equivalents and I only use them for higher dollar, more important, or shipments that I want to reach the person in a decent delivery time. Sometimes a buck or two is better than the stress and hassle of a late shipment (for me).
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a real recent experience where an item failed to be delivered and the buyer opened a case on me in eBay. Not worth the trouble and I gave him a refund, it was not an expensive item. I also have a flat rate envelope priority mail package which was badly mishandled by the USPS and I have yet to evaluate the contents as I am out of town. I had it insured but dread the idea that I might need to file a claim.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that in the very near future USPS rates will increase to the point where they no longer have any advantage for this type of shipping and it will be "game on".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5081 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why are sellers/shippers still using USPS?

It depends completely on what you are selling/shipping. Sure, for larger/bulkier items, FedEx and UPS are comparable to USPS, but if you're talking smaller items (single stamps, covers, etc.) where you are charging $1-5 for shipping, there is no non-USPS equivalent and buyers will NOT pay the extra freight unless the merchandise is moderate-to-expensive in cost.

If there's a better way to ship items for less than $5, I'm all ears...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sent a 5.9 oz flat small package via FedEx yesterday from Mass to Texas, cheapest rate was $40! Really, that was the CHEAPEST.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5081 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume that was FedEx next day or two-day, and NOT FedEx Ground...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you're talking smaller items (single stamps, covers, etc.) where you are charging $1-5 for shipping, there is no non-USPS equivalent and buyers will NOT pay the extra freight unless the merchandise is moderate-to-expensive in cost.

Absolutely. Most of the things I buy for my collection tend to be single stamps, postal cards, or covers with prices under $10 (usually even under $5), so I'm very rarely amenable to having a $912 shipping charge added to that.

If Don's willing to pay more for FedEx, UPS, etc. and the seller refuses, that's another issue entirely.
Edited by erilaz - 02/23/2021 2:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The comments thus far point out the silliness of a "one size fits all" approach. Most sellers that I have seen have the same shipping terms regardless of the item cost. It makes no sense. Perhaps it is ease of listing or an eBay thing? It would seem that offering choice to a buyer is the way to go. Check out and pick USPS First Class or Fedex Ground or an Express option or whatever. Obviously if you just spent $5 on a stamp you likely are not going to fork over $25 for shipping but if you just spent $500 on a stamp you should have the option of whatever you like and are more comfortable with. Expediency and safe arrival go hand in hand to some extent because the longer an item is in the system and the more handling it is subject to the more chances there are of something going wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Obviously if you just spent $5 on a stamp you likely are not going to fork over $25 for shipping but if you just spent $500 on a stamp you should have the option of whatever you like and are more comfortable with.

This is my solution just buy more expensive stamps so you can justify the expense of FedEx!
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmdregs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use USPS Priority Mail on a weekly basis. During the last Christmas season, items were taking a week or more to get to their destination. Other than that, I've never had a problem.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
510 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ordered some parts for my other passion, antique car restoration, on Feb 8. Paid $115.00 for Priority mail 2 day both shipped at the same time from the same person. One of the two packages arrived in 3 days. The other is still out there somewhere. PO has claimed Covid, weather, and lack of help. Yesterday in yet another conversation I was told "give it another week".
My comment on the antique car forum is never again will I use the USPS for anything other than a letter. Maybe once they lose the profitable individual customer they will review the feasibility and real cost of customers like Amazon.
OK done venting for now.
Totally unacceptable.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05