Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Are Sellers Still Using USPS?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 671Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2542 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   6:52 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not just USPS that is having problems. I hear Fed Ex is messed up too due to the weather and not just in TX.

As others have said, there is no other alternative for USPS below a certain selling price threshold.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1468 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Life could be worse. You might live in the middle of nowhere, yet need a bulletproof, padlocked mailbox because of all of the knuckleheads who kept messing with your regular box ...
https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate...-51-for-sale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I expect that cost effectiveness depends very much on size/weight. A single stamp, or a set, which fits in a regular sized envelope (basically, First Class Mail) can't have Fed-Ex or UPS be competitive, and I expect that non-competitiveness goes up to a certain weight. If it is valuable and you need tracking, then any of the services 1 or 2 day service is competitive with USPS 1 or 2 day signature-required service. Once you get above a few pounds, though, I think all services are competitive. At Christmas, I go to a MailBoxes USA to ship my packages - their lines are shorter than at the USPS and they offer many more options. Yeah, there's a service fee, but it is worth it to me. Anyway, when they put up the package and show me their screen, it shows pricing for USPS, UPS, FedEx, and probably DHL - they are all within a dollar or two of each other for ground, 2-day, and overnight. Well, for ground, anyway - that's the only service I would consider for 10-15 pounds of Christmas presents.

When I am buying small stuff online (a stamp or two, or a small set) and see a shipping fee of $1 or so, I assume it is going by USPS First Class Mail (basically, it is going in an envelope with a couple of stamps for postage). I know it will take anywhere from a couple of days to weeks to get to me. I am good with that. I am still waiting for a small lot (single stamp) to get to me from South Africa from last November. I am beginning to think it really won't get here.

Slow mail sucks!!! No doubt. I think we are seeing the slow-mo implosion of the USPS. Problem is, we still need to use them for so many things. Where cost effective, though, I would rather use one of the other guys.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 671Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05