Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suitable Safe Solvent For Special Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 921Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cbustapeck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day,

So, I recently bought this stamp, US Scott # 242, with the hope of soaking it off the paper and having it display a little bit better. While it may be the cheapest example to sell in ages, it was at the very top of my budget, and one that I want to display as well as possible.

When I tried to soak it, I found that the adhesive used was *not* water-soluble.

I know that this is a long shot, but does anyone see any clues here that might suggest what sort of glue was used, and what sort of solvent might reverse it?

Thank you in advance
-Christopher

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christopher - frankly, this stamp is worthless in this condition, and I suspect that removing it wouldn't add much to its appearance.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
984 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christopher,

If the glue isn't water soluble, you might want to try what is used on self-adhesive stamps. I use "Bestine" It can be found in most art supply stores.

There are a lot of threads here on how to remove self-adhesive stamps. A search here with the keyword "bestine" will give you a lot of hits.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Edited by danstamps54 - 02/23/2021 11:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christopher: considering the damage it already has, I would leave it on the paper. It's possible any sort of liquid could cause it to break apart.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
984 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Climber Steve may be right. I took the line down the middle of the stamp to be a fold and not a tear. It could just come apart. How lucky do you feel?

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Climber Steve and Dan,
I so had not thought about that. While I have done a bit of work with paper repair, none of it has been on this small of a scale, and the outcome you suggest seems not unlikely. I really appreciate this advice.

Dan,
I hadn't thought about that - the cut-off date for my personal collection is 1971, and while I have dealt with self-adhesive stamps a little, I have not delved into that issue, nor would it have ever crossed my mind. I'm going to keep that in mind for future reference - and I know I will use it for non-stamp projects - because I am always looking for good stuff with questionable repairs, and a solvent that I know is safe is so valuable.

- Christopher
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   12:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Steve/Dan, the paper is probably stabilizing the stamp. I'd trim the top paper fibers a bit and leave it alone.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31273 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christopher,
I had the identical problem, last week with a modern New Zealand Stamp.
Cool water had no effect, tried Bestine, no go.

I think, perhaps, sometimes people use other glues, perhaps a wood glue on a re-used stamp who knows?

I scanned and kept a copy for my sorting database, but it was in similar condition to yours.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are we sure that this is 242 and not the $2 single, Scott 2628c, from the 1992 souvenir sheet?
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
That gives me an idea that I'll have to try tonight. Will report back!

Rod222,
Noted.

Rodgcam,
I am quite sure that it is not 2628c. I was using 2628c as a placeholder for 242, and the differences are clear. (Color, line quality, margins, paper feel, etc.) (While I am admittedly not an expert on the specific details of stamps, I know printmaking quite well and can say this with confidence.)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't the 1992 version say "1992"?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - Yes, it does say 1992 but 1992 is where the piece is missing on this stamp and what you can see of the second number could easily be the 9 in 1992. Perf rate would be different however, 10.5 vs 12.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah - still looks like an "8" to me. If you were going to play with the 1992 stamp, you could probably create less wreckage!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
746 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Judging from the back, the paper it's stuck to was already cut square when the sticking took place - it doesn't look like the paper was cut around the stuck stamp. My hunch is, someone used glue to fix it to a paper backing, maybe to try and strengthen it.

If so, it could be that it's not stuck to the edges - a dab of glue in the centre region might be holding it together, so one suggestion if you can't get it safely apart, would be to carefully trim back the edges of the backing paper so they dont protrude, and therefore won't show from the front.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I raised the issue of which issue it may be because it is so rare to see a dollar value Columbian end up like this!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like others, I would suspect the paper backing is there for a reason - it is adding stability. Also, do we know what adhesive was used to affix the stamp to the backing? If not, you would be taking a chance using any kind of solvent. If you know what the adhesive is, still I would leave it alone.

If you are careful, I don't see anything wrong with trimming some of the paper outside of the stamp. I would NOT trim any of the stamp paper, even if you think it would add to the appearance.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 921Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05