Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suitable Safe Solvent For Special Stamp?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,407Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5513 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodg - weren't these things used for postage by dealers for many years before they started to acquire some monetary value beyond face? I'm afraid I'd still have chucked this in the recycling!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6109 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they were Geoff and I may very well have chucked it myself!
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My plan tonight was to glue this down to a 1 or 2 cent example with decent perforations and margins. Alas, none were to be found - I think they went away in my last couple "get all of this stamp crap out of my house" eBay boxes. I'll just have to wait on another.

Most of my great awful stamps have come from just a couple dealers. The stuff is out there - and I suspect a lot more exists in the drawers of people who don't want them but don't want to discard them. (I eagerly await hitting 50 posts so that I can persuade people to part with said stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
972 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get all the "throw it away" advice which seems entirely unhelpful. He bought a stamp which is all he can afford, and now you tell him it's garbage and he should throw away? When I was very young, I bought a lot of clearly defective stamps to fill spaces I couldn't possibly have filled any other way. It made me feel good, and it kept my hobby going so I didn't quit just because it had become too expensive for me. I'm glad no one discouraged me. Perhaps one reason so many are solitary collectors? Or another reason people give up on the hobby?

No, don't throw it out. I'd trim the mess around the edges and leave it at that. Leave the paper on the back. Anything you do is going to destroy the stamp completely. You're not supposed to iron out creases (so keep this under your hat), but with this stamp I'd do that. A warm (not hot) iron may smooth out that crease just a little. Then mount it in your album. It's a hobby. They're just stamps. Don't worry about it too much. And don't listen to all the nay-sayers. They're everywhere.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5513 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't tell Christopher that he should throw his stamp away - I said that I should have done so myself, which is a different matter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6109 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - I know what you meant and neither did I advise anybody to throw their stamps away. In fact nothing I said was negative. The fact of the matter is that these mostly destroyed stamps are not what 99.99 percent of collectors would pursue as a matter of course and place in an album. That is not meant to be derogatory. It is simply stating fact.

If we are being honest we can acknowledge that the damaged stamp collection is well outside the norm. In fact collectors elevate perfection when it comes to obtaining specimens and exhibiting, EFO's aside. ( even EFO's though are sought in sound condition)

There are folks on here all of the time denigrating those that collect graded stamps and that seems to perfectly acceptable.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1558 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger wrote: "....it is so rare to see a dollar value Columbian end up like this."

I sympathize with Christopher because my $2 dollar Columbian looks a lot like his, without the backing paper. It came with a US collection that I bought way back in the 1990s and I haven't replaced it yet. Then, I got a lot of decent US material for my own US collection, that I still have. But not the $2 Columbian.
Edited by Climber Steve - 02/24/2021 11:26 am
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given how little space stamps take up, I cannot fathom getting rid of that expensive of a stamp, even in this condition. Then again, my track record for keeping things is perhaps not something worth using as a role model.

For me, it's about the joy of the search, the stories that the stamps tell, and the stories that I make in the process of buying these things. It's also that stamp collecting is *a* thing I do, not *the* thing I do. If I were going to spend $500 on an engraving, I'd go for one by Rembrandt, probably. (It's seriously on my radar. I'm just waiting for one or two to show up at a local auction house again, because you need to really see them in person, because the quality of the impressions is really variable.)

Now, I know that there are restrictions on buying and trading here with new accounts, and I get that. I can imagine that that would lead to any number of problems. However, if people just want to give away stamps in awful condition, I would happily give loving homes to Scott nos: 2, 12, 17, 27-29, 31, 32, 39, among others.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should enjoy your pursuit of the bargain collection. That you obtained this one, albeit badly damaged, within your strict framework for acquisitions is pretty neat.

yeah, most of us -- myself included -- are going for a high level of quality and paying many sheckels for same, but you get to set your own rules for yours. This particular one illustrates how hard the challenge is which you have set for yourself. A tip of the hat to you.

Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979 -

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the presentation in my album, so that it will present a little bit better. I look forward to sharing what can be done on a budget before too long. (about $1340 over three years, in an album that my (at the time) girlfriend's sister found in the trash!)
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask what kind of price does something like this go for? I see on hipstamp the most inexpensive listed 242's currently are $150-$160 range.
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tsmatx -

After tax, it came to $47.52. ($40... and then you forget about all that other stuff that adds on.)

My general rule is that, for stamps selling for more than $2, I won't spend more than 5% of the price of the cheapest example that Mystic has listed. I've done well enough following that rule.

With this one, I really thought that I would soak it off the paper and get a considerably better stamp as the result. (I've done this with non-stamp items glued to paper backings, so it wasn't unreasonable.)

Was it a learning experience? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes, but not for more than $40, total.
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tsmatx -

For an example I feel a bit more comfortable with, I just bought US 17 for about $13, after all is said and done:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cbustapeck - your #17 has a few things going for it. Even though it is about as damaged as you can find, it ***is*** clearly a #17. It has some form of margin on all 4 sides - the left side is large, and the amount on top and bottom makes it impossible to be a trimmed perforated example. The perforated stamps of the 1851-6 issues have notoriously small margins. Another plus actually comes from the tear around the missing piece. The way it is torn, it is clear that the paper isn't 'layered'. If you could see 'layered' paper, it would indicate that might be a proof (on thin paper) with backing added to appear as the issued stamp.

So... even though some would call this stamp ugly (I prefer to call it what it is - faulty), it is, unquestionably, a genuine #17. There are many stamps being sold as #17, that are doctored 'something elses'. It just goes to show that one can learn (after all, isn't that a big reason why so many of us collect stamps?) from highly faulty stamps.

ETA: Also, it has a face-free cancel. Also adding - the upper right corner looks like it is a light breeze away from disconnecting. I would suggest pasting a tiny sliver of a hinge on the back simply to keep the corner from coming loose and getting lost.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 02/25/2021 2:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mootermutt987 -
I wasn't aware of the term "face-free cancel", though it definitely describes what I try to go for when I make these purchases - at least the most important details of the face.

I really appreciate your insights. Thank you.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,407Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05