Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suitable Safe Solvent For Special Stamp?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,448Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say that I am really not getting this although I have tried. What hangs me up is that in at least some cases these are not really "the " stamp. They are portions of stamps. The primary feature of a stamp is the design and if there is a piece missing it is not really the stamp. Does this make sense? Maybe not. I don't know. I guess that it is like collecting classic cars that are missing the engine or the doors? LOL

This is not criticism. One thing this thread has done is got me to thinking outside of the box! Keep them comin'.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam - there are few people that collect this way. I used to, but no longer. I DO remember what it was like to be unable to spend $500 on a $1 Columbian. And, for some, I suspect it is not even about being unable to afford it, but perhaps more about the 'sport' of it all. To use your car analogy, say you have $10K, but REALLY want a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 426 Hemi. This is a highly collectible car and can go well into 6-figures for a really good example. If all you can afford is $10K, you will end up with one that was most likely sitting in a field for 30 years and is missing a bumper and a fender. Does that not make it a car, though? Unlike stamps, one can get a 'dog' of a car and work on it to bring it back to its previous glory. Renovating an old car is an accepted (by many, anyway) part of owning a classic car. With stamps, we can't (well, we SHOULDN'T) renovate. That doesn't eliminate demand for rough stamps.

We all have our ideas of what is a collectible stamp. There are loads of stamps out there that I would never buy, but that doesn't make those stamps un-collectible. I find myself doing/buying things that don't make much sense to others, but it makes (my kind of) sense to me. I do odd things for the 'sport' of it sometimes. Sometimes it is the journey that is important to the traveler, and not the destination.

I get your point - I have a certain idea of what I want to collect and it is more along the lines of what most here would understand. Others have different 'needs' or desires, though, for/from their hobby activity. Also, some simply cannot bring themselves to spend, say, $1000 (AKA: Real Money) on a stamp, no matter what that stamp is - to them the idea of spending $1000 on a piece of paper is ridiculous. And I cannot say they are wrong.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 02/25/2021 9:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mooter - What things cost is a reality. That is why I don't collect Ferrari's or Renoir's. Things get wrapped around the axle (pun intended) when it comes to value. It is not about snobbery. Folks have awesome collections of low value stamps and covers that I am in awe of. They are in one piece however unless you are into wreck/disaster mail. (cool stuff as well)

Raising an eyebrow at this "collection" automatically makes one the "bad guy" in many eyes because everyone wants to be kind. Understandable and human.

PS: Valuable stamps are continually posted that are picked apart for real and perceived miniscule faults because the hobby has standards.

How many times has somebody come here to show an inherited or found at garage sale find and are told "it looks like a school boy's collection" or "poor shape and worthless"? Honest is what that is and based upon some standards the hobby as a whole has set.

Condition, condition, condition is what we hear endlessly.

Again, you can collect whatever you want any way that you want.

It is just hard to ignore that horn in the middle of the supermodel's forehead. LOL Shhhh, don't say anything!!!
Valued Member
46 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get what there is not to get. Christopher paid $40 for a banged up stamp where better quality starts at $150 (so over ~70% off). Personally for me, paying $40 for it seems reasonable-ish as I don't have any copy of that stamp yet, and is big savings over $150+
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   01:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, the surprising thing is not that people keep badly damaged stamps that come their way, but that they're prepared to pay money for them. I have cigarette cards that are in a comparable state to Christopher's stamp, but I didn't individually shell out for them.
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam -

I should say, first of all, that many people collect many things in many fields, some of which I understand and some of which make no sense to me. So long as they give the collectors joy, more power to them. It's part of what makes stamp collecting fun - that there are so many different ways that people approach it, at all ranges of budgets, from just finding the best example of the main US or world catalog to covers to precancels to perfins and more.

The way I collect is so fun for me. Below, I'm going to explain my feelings, not out of the need to defend what I'm doing, but just with the hope that you can see why it brings me joy - because it excites me so. I get that things work differently for different people, and that they don't see the things the way my weird brain does, and that's cool.

It's a whole bunch of things, in no particular order.

• I'm always looking for cool stuff that other people don't seem to see the value in because it has some major issue or another, when it reduces the price sufficiently. I'm all about having more fun, and when the price is a tenth or a twentieth of what a good example goes for, it becomes an interesting possibility. From the price I pay, I don't see there being ten times the enjoyment from spending ten times as much.

• Things in really good condition make me nervous. I'm a bit clumsy, and I have three kids, ages 7, 10, and 12, and I live in a hundred year old house. There are just so many ways that an item could be damaged. As much as I try to take care, there are definitely several dishes that have broken in the past year, a good few stamps that have ended up with tears, and a pair of leaks that have appeared in the ceiling. I'm not complaining about this - it's the choice I've made, and I'd definitely rather have a fun old house than a smaller, newer one.

I recently owned one of my dream bicycles, a 1961 Schwinn Jaguar Mark IV. It was in amazing condition, purchased from the original owner. All the parts were either original or added by him in the first few years of ownership, down to the Schwinn Westwind tires.(Full photos here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/o...1400.177107/.)

It brought me a lot of anxiety. I would have loved to have ridden it everywhere, but I was too worried about taking a spill and having it be worth a couple hundred dollars less. It also made me anxious just having it in my garage, where my kids also park their bicycles.

The funds from it have gone into a couple other dream bike projects. It was a ton of fun, and I'm really glad that I had the experience of having owned it, but I'm also really glad that it's now in the hands of someone with a heated garage and no other bicycles.

• I don't want to have to worry about what the stamp is worth or whether I can get any money out of it. These stamps are cheap enough that I can count any money spent as entertainment. (This doesn't mean that I want to throw away money, of course.) I think, as of right now, my lifetime cost of my collection is not more than $1.50 a day - probably a little less. I take my stamp album with me to various places without worry.

• I really dislike the glare and loss in image quality that you get with mounts. At the prices I am paying, I can just hinge them and not have the plastic degrading the view.

• I love the search and the stories that it generates. I also love the stories that the stamps themselves tell. Personally, I couldn't enjoy a collection of mint stamps, because it would look the same as someone else's collection of mint stamps. While that's cool, I want a collection that's special and different.

• There's real excitement for me in providing that it's still possible to build a really fun collection on a budget. I've got the Harris Liberty album, and as of right now, I'm into the 19th century stamps to the tune of about $600. I have either correct examples or solid placeholders (read: may not have grills, may not be quite the correct colors, etc.) for most of the run. I'm only still looking for Scott numbers: 2, 12, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 39, 122, 241, 243, 244, 245, 262, 263, 277, 278, 292 and 293. (At least some of these, I am going to be content with amusing placeholders.

• When I look at something that is heavily worn, I tend to see it as it was, and the beauty in the part of it that is still there, rather than focusing on the condition issues. It's just how my eyes and brain work.

Again, this is just to help illuminate the joy I see in my collection.
Learn More...
9258 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   11:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously collecting based upon market value is not a prerequisite or requirement for enjoying the hobby, I think that folks can and should collect anyway they desire. If that collecting approach means not caring about market value, either now or later, then I see nothing wrong with collecting remnants/pieces/faulty stamps.

But that said, collecting remnants/pieces/faulty stamps is not mainstream, and perhaps is so far outside the mainstream that if/when the collection is ever dispositioned that demand may be near zero. If this is no concern, then great. I suspect that the prices that many of the remnants/pieces/faulty stamps are being driven by collectors who are seeking a placeholder rather than seeking to build an entire collection of these stamp vestiges. As long as the value expectations for an entire collection of something very far from the norm are correct, I think that all is good.

I would add that our hobby has a multitude of collecting areas which can be accessed without deep pockets. HPO covers, FDC covers, FAM/CAM covers, event covers are all collecting areas that a person can buy good quality material on a budget. And of course there are many, many stamps that also fit the bill, UN stamps are a good example. And postal stationery also offers all kinds of material without breaking the bank.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cbustapeck - Thanks so much for sharing some insights into your collecting decisions. We actually share quite a bit in the way that we view things. My previous comments were not meant to criticize. I really love to try and understand what makes people tick. It is all good and all fascinating. Variety in people and the way that they approach things is one of the things that makes life an adventure.

For myself I get just as much if not more pleasure out of collecting things that do not cost much at all. I started collecting automobile ads out of old National Geographic's when I was a kid and they still excite me more than a Z grill. Always have. I am not hung up on what things cost. Just curious about collecting decisions. I also collect dinged up and rusted old cowbells.

Cheers!
Learn More...
9258 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I started collecting automobile ads...

Me too, I just sold this group this week https://www.ebay.com/itm/265055911593
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
842 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also collect dinged up and rusted old cowbells.

Rog, this made me laugh out loud, in a good way. More cowbell!
Learn More...
9258 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh come on now, we have to have the video so we can 'explore the studio space'!
cVsQLlk-T0s

Don
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don -
The perfect disposal of my collection, for me, would be to get some nominal sum (say $50 or $100) and have it end up in the hands of someone who understands it as a collection and would agree, at least while in their hands, to keep it whole as a collection.

Rodgcam -

Your comments were not taken as criticism, though I appreciate you saying that. The reasons why people build collections make for such interesting stories.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3840 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cbustapeck

I once had a spacefiller that was a little rough looking. Iplaced the stamp between 2 pieces of parchement paper and carefully ironed it flat with the iron set on medium and steam. It made the stamp look a lot better and it looks good in my album.

I can't for the life of me remember what stamp it was but I am pretty certain it was an American stamp as well.

I agree with the others that you should leave the paper backing on and just trim the excess.

Good luck

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cbustapeck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gentle reminder:
Every single time you touch anything, you damage it a little.

I tried to lay it down to another stamp and encountered losses along the way.

Hopefully I have learned the lesson this time!

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
457 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drat, that is too bad that more of it came apart.

But still, in terms of your own collecting philosophy, you have the bulk of the central design, the USA text, and the denomination, so it can be readily identified, despite the damage, as Sc. 242.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 1,448Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05