Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Coil Plate Number Location Question...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PoStat4evR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Let us make an assumption...

If a US stamp Coil issue is on a coil of all the same design stamp,
(using letters here):
A-B-C-D-E, then it would be desirable to have the plate number under "C"
or if collected as a set of three stamps....
A-B-C, the plate number would be under the "B" stamp.

Now the question.:
On the "Wild Orchids Issue Coil, there are 10 different designed stamps.

If one collects the stamps as:
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J (where each letter represents a different pattern)
I would guess the location of the plate number does not matter (since a center number is not possible)?

OR, what if one collected the strip as:
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-A (11 stamps with A repeated on each end) would the plate number be located under the "F"
(to center the number on the strip) be the appropriate way to collect this item?

Since the fool coil comes in a 10K number per roll, I really can't see purchasing one that would allow this, as the strips of 25 from the USPS do NOT give one the proper option.

What do the bulk of collectors think on this?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7650 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The plate number should ideally be in the middle of a PS3, 5, 7, 9 or 11. This is with the orchids not possible.
Scott gives supposedly some solutions in the 2021 special catalog - I do not own one.
PNC3, the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club was suggesting to save this as a PS11. This way the strip will show the Eastern Prairie Fringed Orchid twice, one with and one without the plate number

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6286 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I recall, when the coils went to numbers (replacing the joint line) the pair was replaced with a strip of 3...and then a strip of 5. So, If I were collecting these (with 10 designs), I would probably save a strip of 11, with the number on the middle stamp.

The mount length (215 mm) may determine how some collectors will choose to collect these.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/23/2021 8:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7650 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. PS11 stands for Plate Strip of 11

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand the situation, Scott recommends collecting the orchid coils as a PS10 with the plate number on the 9th stamp. If you purchase a strip of 25 from USPS, you are not guaranteed that you can get a PS10 containing all of the designs from your strip. You will have a plate number, just not in some instances a PS10 with the 10 different designs. On the other hand, if you order a strip of 20 or more orchid coils from the Oneco,CT postmaster, you are guaranteed the PS10. And he ships the stamps to you for FREE!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Bookbndrbob suggests, I plan to collect a PS11, with the plate number on the middle stamp. That is how I have collected PS11 strips in the past. They fit diagonally on the album page. I think the first US coil with 10 different stamps was issued in 2003, the presorted rate Eagle stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just be forewarned that your PS11, if it indeed has the plate number on the center stamp of the strip, will not contain all 10 designs. It is for this reason that Scott recommends a PS10 with the plate number on the 9th stamp. Such a PS10 does contain all 10 designs.
The reason for this seemingly anomalous coil is the repeating pattern of 27 stamps that occurs throughout the coil roll. Designating the designs as A thru J, a 27-stamp strip would be:
A B C D E F G H I J A B C D E F G H I J D E F G H I J
with the plate number on the 2nd occurrence of design I (the 9th). Due to the missing A, B & C designs in the final strip of 7 stamps, a PS11 with centered plate number containing all 10 designs cannot occur.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6286 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it was a mistake to have approached this USPS item logically.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLLebbert,
Thanks for pointing this out. I will go for the PS10. Is this the first time a coil issue is non-sequential?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe the orchids are the first coil issue in which the sequence of designs have, in a sense, been altered. In my example, had the final seven stamps in the 27-stamp sequence been normal ... e.g., A B C D E F G ... then a plate-centered PS11 would be possible. I believe that the eagle coils that you mention follow this pattern.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05