Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Separate Stamps In Uncut Pane

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 288Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ss_book to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to the hobby and have bought a few panes from the USPS of that have multiple stamp designs. I would like to remove a strip or block of the multiple designs from a pane for my collection but I noticed that some panes do not have die cuts where I can separate the stamps I want. For example, I bought the "Innovation" pane of stamps (Scott 5518a) and each of the stamps perforations seems to be nested in the next stamp so I can not simply cut the stamps I want out without cutting the perforations of both stamps like I could if it was imperforate.

I wanted to know if someone could please share their knowledge on the best way to separate the stamps I want for a strip or block since I do want to include these in my new collection. Do you use scissors, exacto knife, etc., and what technique do you use to cut the pane?

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7325 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not cut it! I can not tell, but if your sheetlet is mis-perforated it is more valuable. Can you maybe post a scan of the die cuts closer up?
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/25/2021 11:18 am
2 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ss_book to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Attached are some uploaded panes that I have that I would like to separate. As you can see they have perforations on the stamp but the backing paper is not cut so I can not simply separate the stamps from each other. Additionally, you can see how the perforation does not continue to the edge. I have other stamps where the stamp and the backing paper are perforated so I can simply tear along the perforation to take the stamps apart from each other.

Since these do not have the backing paper perforated that made me believe that it needed to be cut some how.

Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ss_book, remove all the stamps from the backing sheet you do not want to keep and use them for postage. When the backing sheet has only the block or strip of stamps you want to keep you can remove the selvage by peeling it off, or keeping it. You can then cut the backing sheet a couple of millimeters away from the stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 288Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05