Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher Langs Errors Sale

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2542 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add eyeonwall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had 10 bids in on the first day and 11 on the second day. I would have had to scramble if I won many of them, but I didn't think it was likely and I was right. I only won 2. One was lot 2458 20c Flag imperf miscut plate #2 strip. Years ago I heard there was only one imperf miscut plate #2 roll (2 plate strips) found. The other purchase was lot 2250 color shift sheet that was probably a mistake for me to buy. I lost the ones I was most interested in.

Some insane bidders. Lot 2971, "perforations of both panes shifted sharply to left, nearly to where pane is cut, nearly creating full imperf-between error panes", close but no cigar and they paid $600 plus the juice???

How did you do?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 02/26/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit surprised there were few if any comments on this sale before it started, since the first sale had significant conversations here.

I thought most of the lots I wanted would go pretty high, specifically the imperf bicentennial souvenir sheets and the imperf horse and buggy, and grand canyon air mails. The last two air mails went unsold, though. Should have considered them further.

My only purchase was the imperf purple heart pane (lot 2918).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
479 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think people who were interested in the sale didn't want to draw extra eyes on it.

That said, I collect a lot of this material, the biggest surprise for me seeing the catalog was that his "private" collection and his inventory weren't that far apart. I was kind of expecting a bonanza of material the likes of which we hadn't seen before in one spot like the old Important Errors sale Siegel did a while back. Much of this material felt like that sales "balance". Yes-There were some one of a kinds, and things that were awesome, but the prices were crazy. And there was just a lot of "average errors"

Lot 2484, I have the other half imperf and paid 1/3 at Dutch auctions a year or so ago. Other realizations surprised me, particularly shifts that people paid up for. Color omits/Imperfs tracked catalog percentages closer.

Lot 2262 threw me for a loop. I thought I recalled seeing this but... Why was no certificate obtained for this? A plate block out of thin air? Where's the rest of this sheet for the last 5 decades. Doesn't add up. Also many questionable listings that were worded in ways where a return/cert couldn't refute unwind sale.

The last thing I will say is the pricing out of there was largely influenced by what Bill paid for the material, instead of what things would normally go for. So I think they got a great return on his holdings for a "liquidation" event. The breadth of material carried the sale for a lot of smaller pieces to move and move they did. I was just expecting to see a lot more outside the 10000 Error listings that clogged the eBay category.

I expect a lot of these stamps to end up back on eBay looking for 2X type returns.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
514 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a few flag errors. I bid on 15 lots and won 4 of them. There is a ton of volatility in modern error prices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2542 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They claimed lot 2991 was unique, but I have one with the same miscut/same markings.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05