Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turkish Box Cancellations

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 507Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
748 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
seeing if there's any information available
I'm thinking there maybe a fake stamp or two

Send note to Staff
Edited by Just_fella - 02/27/2021 8:58 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1712 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Just fella,

I can't help with fake stamps but there's some cancellation information here:

https://www.stampcircuit.com/Philat...-361?page=23

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bobby!
That will also help with a couple other cancellations
Edited by Just_fella - 02/27/2021 10:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking this one is a fake/forgery
The star is off and that circular blob

These look like possible fake/forgery or over-inked?

Edited by Just_fella - 02/28/2021 4:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 20 para looks good to me, here are mine.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was suspect because the star and blob
Edited by Just_fella - 03/01/2021 02:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Just_fella,

The first cancellation in your first post appears to be from Kastamouni/Kastamonu.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks nigelc
what a beautiful place!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

1870-71perf 5-11 and compound?

Edited by Just_fella - 03/01/2021 4:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3057 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look in the threads_____
http://goscf.com/t/54283
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's not the 1869 (c) surcharge?

Nope......found it on the link
Edited by Just_fella - 03/01/2021 7:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just_Fella, yes that is the pin perf issue. They're not considered compound perfs because the distance between holes depended on how fast the operator fed the paper through the machine. So you could get anywhere from around perf 5 to perf 11 on any side, and sometimes varied perfs on a single side. As you can see with yours, clerks gave up and cut them from the sheet with scissors because the perforations were so poor.

The printing on your 20 para example is just some of the typical poor printing seen on many of these, I believe there was a spot of oil on the plate, or perhaps a bit of paper that gave the dot...
Edited by billsey - 03/01/2021 10:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you billsey!
I'm Slowly learning (I mentioned compound because it was also mentioned in the listing in 1965 Scott) old but helps sometimes
thanks everyone for putting up with my many questions and helping me along
I can't thank you enough the explanations are great
Edited by Just_fella - 03/02/2021 07:09 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31713 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just_Fella, yes that is the pin perf issue. They're not considered compound perfs because the distance between holes depended on how fast the operator fed the paper through the machine. So you could get anywhere from around perf 5 to perf 11 on any side, and sometimes varied perfs on a single side. As you can see with yours, clerks gave up and cut them from the sheet with scissors because the perforations were so poor.

Thanks Billsey, was never aware of that, assuming pin perfs were a set guage.
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ditto, Billsey. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Have been collecting for many years. And always assumed there was standard gauge (sizing)
for pin perforations.

Once again the Forum has proven to be a valuable info source.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pin perfs were created with something that acted like a sewing machine, moving the needle up and down as you fed the paper through it. Those machines were cheaper than the normal perforation machines, and didn't require going to a foreign vendor to have them perforated. After a while using them they found there were enough complaints that they went back to normal perforations within a few years.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 507Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05