Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Considering Purchasing A Collection For Resale - Includes A #70c Certified.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,068Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dgparent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How much should I pay for a 70c that is certified, I will be reselling it so I need to make a profit. Also in this collection they sent some pictures - any earthly idea why they have a value of $750-$1000 on 3 #498's am I missing something?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6236 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dreamer pricing?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That "certificate" is worth absolutely nothing. Where are you getting this collection? You may want to take a pause right away.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5151 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   1:24 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on the cert. Worthless. "Society of Philatelic Americans" is NOT the same as "American Philatelic Society", the latter having an established and market-accept expertizing arm (APEX).
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgparent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, it is a local guy selling them to me via the net. I will see the stamps in person before purchasing, thanks for the cert info.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2376 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to know the story of the SPA - they were a real organization, but its been too long and I forget the story of their rise and fall. Some other member here likely knows.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the cert is worthless... to knowledgeable collectors anyway. There is also a very good chance the stamp isn't worth much more. It may not be a 70c ya know. If you can't value the stamp for purchase how are you going to value it for resale? Are your buyers expected to have all of the knowledge?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Ken Lawrence was a member, he could tell the story. I recall him talking about it some but I don't really remember the details.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7405 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The story I was told about 50 years ago is that the group was founded by collectors unhappy about who the APS was willing to give membership to. They wanted to maintain collector "purity". I don't know how accurate that was, but I heard it from a number of different sources.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mudblood collectors will be fed to dementors
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7405 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was apparently very much the idea......
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Written by a convicted felon, but may provide some factoids.

https://www.apfelbauminc.com/blog/p...c-societies1
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if the certificate was good when issued it is now more than 40 years old. So it worthless just for that reason. Especially for a stamp that is very difficult to determine color.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31935 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1476 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SPA was still in the final stages of its existence when I first became a "serious" collector (early 1980's). It began life as the Southern Philatelic Association, driven by regional (and no doubt other) imperatives. As such it was inherently limited, and as it inexorably withered in the increasingly larger shadow of the APS it changed its name (but not its initials) to the Society of Philatelic Americans. In its heyday it was a viable organization with its own journal (The Stamp Herald, I believe), expertizing committee etc. It was eventually merged with the APS. I agree that a 1980 SPA certificate isn't worth anything today beyond its historical interest.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,068Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05