Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Identification While On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 134Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is just an exercise in identification. I have a few tools at home, and some online to help out. All of the items below are viewed from the Front of the stamp.

This cover is from The Commercial Banking Limited Company of Sydney to The Standard Bank of South Africa (located in New York). I purchased it because I thought there was a chance of Die II on cover, but it is clearly Die I. Here is the cover and a closeup of the stamp:

When held up to the light, I couldn't figure out the watermark. I also wanted to leave it on the cover. Using my Avervision with backlit option, I was able to see the stamp a little more clearly (the lines going from left to upper right are from the envelope):

It still wasn't clear enough, so I used Retroreveal to pull out more details:

What we see is a marginal line going down just to the left of the middle. On the left we see some marginal letters (probably an "O"), and on the right we see an upright 3rd watermark, making this Scott 47, ACSC 13A. I was hoping for something different, but I didn't see any varieties or any other distinguishing features.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1704 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A tidy cover even if it isn't a Die II
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05