Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should You Sell Duplicates In A Stamp Lot?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love kiloware, and often when I'm done sorting through a 5 pound box I end up with lots of duplicates of countries I don't particularly collect. I've been selling a bit through eBay, and other than kiloware I personally enjoy buying country specific lots of sorted stamps.

My question is this: should I sell duplicates of stamps in a lot? Let's say I have 50 different stamps and each one has varying numbers of dupes, say 6 here 10 here. Should I include these dupes in the same lot? Or should I sell them as different lots? I'm basically talking about definitives and the least valuable kinds of stamps, nothing special (kiloware doesn't usually have much of special interest). The way I display them is on a scanned vario page, each stamp being displayed. It's quite time consuming to place each individual stamp, hence my question. What do you think?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5465 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been gradually working my way through boxes of duplicates over the last few years. If there's some slightly better stuff, I'd use one copy of each, preferably making up twelve stock-page sides to use up the eBay picture allocation. Once they're gone, I'll make up further twelve side lots, including multiples. I don't suggest this is the way to maximise income, but it's the quickest way to dispose of them. Probably the only country for which I'd follow your existing method for common stamps would be China.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(Not sure how to specifically respond to a reply)
Is your suggestion then, essentially, to wait until I have that many stamps (to fill 12 sides of vario pages) before attempting to sell? If we're talking very common stamps, what's a good price to start an auction? .99$?

The best I could do with such a system would be filling maybe a single page or two with unique stamps since the kiloware is so broadly WW I will often end up with probably 150-200 at the most of unique stamps for a country. Most countries don't come close. I'd really rather not wait until I have enough to actually fill 12 pages for every country I don't even particularly want to own. Limited space and whatnot. Do people buy common stamp lots anymore?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5465 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was assuming that you had large quantities to dispose of. You could build up bigger lots by going to areas, rather than individual countries - eg, BC, French area etc. No, I shouldn't wait, unless you're gradually assembling better material - otherwise you'll end up with boxes and stock-books of cheap stamps, as I did. I'd start at 99p - or 99c for you. Do people buy them? Yes, perhaps in search of cancels, varieties etc. You won't get rich, but you'll clear space.
Valued Member
Learn More...
364 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldbold, not in to buying kiloware; but I'd already assumed buying in bulk one would naturally expect duplicates as pretty much every country had their workhorses that were printed en masse. Maybe just clarifying that anything you list as such might be the right way to go?

Will let someone who sells stamps correct me if I am off target of course.

Edited by Andyrich74 - 03/05/2021 6:41 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05