Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Duplicate Albums - Dealing With Dups

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 595Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BobbyT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just the other day I saw that someone else has been creating a duplicate album. I have several and have been spending my time figuring out which albums to use for the duplicates.

My main worldwide collection is housed in two Scott International Part 1, 1840-1940 volumes which I have labeled Part A and Part B (currently separated into A-H, and I-Z). I realized I needed a second volume after adding Inter leaves and things getting too fat.

I also have a Minkus Hungary speciality album for my main Hungary collection, so what is in the main album from Hungary are dups.

For US, I am using a Minkus US Album for the dups and varieties that don't fit in the 1840-1940 Scott's.

Also for dups I am using a Lincoln Album up to 1900, a Statesman Deluxe Worldwide, and a Scott Postage Stamps of the world.

That seems like a lot of albums, but I have not been ready to just dispose of my duplicates. How do others deal with this?

Bobby T
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9132 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I give a lot stuff away, helps the hobby and I have gotten to the point of 'there is no point in me holding this stuff when I can pass it along to someone else'. I digitize material so that I have the memories, they will always be mine.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
576 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have been to one that metioned putting dups in an album. Don's give-aways and sales are where a bunch of my recent dups came from.
Valued Member
United States
29 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just posted a question on a similar issue, but my question was about selling dupes. I asked my father (my stamp collecting mentor) what he thought about dupes and he said sell them why would you need them. I totally disagree. If I'm collecting a country I often find a few select stamps that I LOVE and that I wish to hoard in a way. More like have as many copies as possible to see color variations, centerings, postmarks, so and so. I display them all on lighthouse albums. Any stamp that I don't particularly care much for I put on vario pages or keep in glassines.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"more like have as many copies as possible to see color variations, centerings, postmarks, and so on....."

Indeed, for me, these are all separate stamps, not duplicates. My specialty areas are noted for color variations (shades), differing perfs, interesting cancellations, etc. Some of my actual dupes eventually will go into stock books, other albums, and get moved out of the current envelopes. My US classic dupes go into a 4 volume Mystic Heirloom collection that I inherited some 15 years ago from the late father of a former girl friend, and still close regular friend.

Most of the stuff I don't want is given to the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library to add to their auction lots.

Edited by Climber Steve - 03/02/2021 7:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of giving away material more than selling it. Or trading where that is possible. Right now I am still having difficulty uploading my photos or scans being new on this site but once I do, any suggestion how to find a good place to give to?

When I belonged to a stamp club years ago, where were fostering collection for young kids and had a branch of the Benjamin Franklin Stamp Club operating through the club. But I don't belong to a club any more - would love connecting with beginner collectors to give some of my stuff to.

I also would like to create, in the prizes section, a "Philatelic Scavenger Hunt" with some sort of prize. Has that ever been done?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31656 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Find a reliable "swap " partner
(I am not sure that sounds right )

One that is not picky, someone you can send duplicates
of all sorts.
That's a great way, and fun to give and receive.

I just tried eBay, sold 4 pages of Paraguay mint and used for $4
My mounted never hinged Bermuda never sold at 99c
Waste of time and effort.

back to swapping, or giving to red cross.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
".. but I have not been ready to just dispose of my duplicates. How do others deal with this?"

Do you like stock books but then that takes consolidating and organizing. In their current state, they are organized.
Al
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRockne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have two albums. A lighthouse hingeless Sweden and a vario binder. Any "duplicates" go into the vario binder.

I have multiple copies of the same stamps. I have pages in my vario binder full of town cancellations.

All my other albums (Scott Blues) have stamps waiting to be moved into vario pages / binders.

When I'm done in about 100 years I'll be able to find any stamp I have. Many I might have multiples of.

Sweden has become my main focus and really the only country I've worked on for the past several months.

I will admit to casting an eye at my blues and thinking of just tossing, donating or selling. I could cut my hundred year estimate way down and just admit to beinging a Sweden collector. So much there!
Valued Member
Learn More...
52 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Great topic, as I have to deal with all the conditions described.
Don I have found local boy scouts that still have a collecting merit badge program and they are thrilled when you show with enough material for as many want to achieve a badge, and I make sure they have several starter albums to keep after the award. Also a couple of catalogs with the world included for the library.
Steve, totally agree some areas are beyond ever being satisfied with examples and I have many areas.
BobbyT, you sir belong to the koolest klub right here! and a great member to know.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I work on countries I place my spares in stock books so they are easy to find.

I usually trade or simply give away most of my spares.

I think this is a great way to add to my collection as well as I receive lots of stamps in return.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be happy to contribute to the Boy Scout group - I have many dupes in glassines and stock books, and have three or four albums I would be willing to donate as well.

How would I go about doing this?

Oh, I just received a nice packet of "blind swap" stamps from Diane. What a cool idea, any one else interested in doing this?
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given IMO that blocks, pairs, shade varieties, errors, etc make for a different stamp and not a duplicate:

Duplicates go into one of several stock book grouped with siblings. Anything more than 2-3 of a specific issue gets traded/sold/donated.

Easy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 595Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05