Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grilled Stamps - Are They Always Easy To Recognize?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BobbyT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know with many of the early issues, grills are involved. I even have a number of stamps with the grills. Determining the size of the grills is not easy. But is it always easy to recognize whether the stamp has a grill? What is the best way to recognize and then measure the size of the grills?

BobbyT
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7450 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby, that is a very good basic question. Have you considered searching this forum - answers are plentiful. Another, even better way is to go to www.stampsmarter.com . It has tons of information:

stampsmarter.org/learning/ID_1867_1868Grills.html

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 03/02/2021 12:23 pm
Learn More...
9392 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use high quality scans (both dry and in fluid) of the stamp front and back. But some grills are very light/faint and detection may require an oblique lighting source, I target an angle of 43.987 degrees (just kidding!). There are some faintly grilled stamps that I have given up on counting and just assume the grill type.
Don
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, thanks for your suggestion. How does one search this site? When I have used the search tab, I always seem to come up with outside references rather than posts on this forum. Studebaker, your link has been helpful on other topics so probably will be on this one as well.

Studebaker, do you know Paul Wichterman? He is big into refurbishing Studebakers in the Philadelphia area.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2657 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
an angle of 43.987 degrees

Bobby T, When you search (using the google search) You'll get a few off-site hits, just keep scrolling down until you start seeing SCF logos.
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
an angle of 43.987 degrees

Well I'll be dipped! Sounds like old 51studebaker watches Vice Grip Garage on YouTube. That's fine. I don't know. Probably not.

Ha! I watch him all the time.

Linus
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1751 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only is it sometimes difficult to determine the measurements of a grill, but sometimes it can be hard to be sure if one is present at all.

The type G grill of the 1869 issue is known to have been issued without grill on rare occasions, but even when present is very often faint and easily "ironed out" after wetting. Many collectors think they have one of those rarities when they are unable to see a grill on a used stamp which was supposed to have one. But if such a stamp is missing its original gum then no authority will issue a certificate verifying that the stamp was issued ungrilled.
The problem among the grilled Banknote issues is even worse, since the same stamp designs were issued with and without grill AT THE SAME TIME. I have a few pairs of National Bank Note Co. issues in which the stamps are with and without grill attached side by side.

So yes, grills can be tricky even when you have been at it a while.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The most notoriously difficult grills to see are H grills on the 1870 banknotes. It is not unusual to see a stamp sell on a high end auction house with only a few grill points visible.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05