Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sperati Forgeries Auction With Excellent Images - Paradise Valley Stamp Company

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 841Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5227 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MOOT ----Thanks for the heads up . I seen that at auction at Rasdale Stamps about a year ago with one worldwide collection . But the total of the four parts did not reach the level for one bidder {he was a internet bidder} . I got the D - L section ,Dennis L. got the R-Z section , so half the collection when to Florida .

For me it was mostly all duplicates but it saved me 400 lbs of Steiner Pages ,printing than organizing it .

Back to the Paradise Valley stuff there are a few items that need to be in your hands to really identify a real from a forgery, Richard said above so I will call them . Thanks
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
201 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've only acquired a few of the US Sperati reproductions, but I think it is especially fun to do a side-by-side comparison of the same plate position. Here is mine of #10X1, position 12. I believe it is one of Sperati's engraved forgeries.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sperati did not engrave his reproductions, although several early experts, including Mueller, thought he did even as late as 1949 when they examined sets of his work. On some of his best work, he ran his reproduction through his press twice with minute offset to give "depth" to the line. Also, he was able to reproduce die sinkage by putting a piece of copper on the bed of a press and wetting the paper to conform around it.

I have a 16 page presentation on his technique here:
https://www.sperati.org/Tpages/ST.pdf
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
201 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that reference, Richard. I guess I am one of those who got caught up in the man's legends.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 841Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05