Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Warning - New Active Cartel Seller ID "Stampsandcover" On Ebay

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,573Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shill shills sell sucker

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Actually, I cannot say it at all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   4:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just noticed that the gmail address for "stampsandcover" is the same as the as the gmail address for another cartel account, "bank-notes", save for one minor change. Hardly a coincidence. "bank-notes" is in use as well but is "idling" at the moment with mostly Buy-It-Now listings priced to avoid a real sale. This is also a typical MO for Ryle. One account starts scamming and the others go static. Once the dust settles the static account starts scamming and the first scamming account goes static or even dark.

Here is the ID history of the stampsandcover account

NOTE: eBay removed the " eBay Member User ID History" a while back but you can still find the ID history of any account by manually searching the original eBay link.

Here is the link

Remove the xxx at end of the link above and enter in the account name you wish to find.
Don

EDIT:
Also note that you can also view the internet address of the images in his listings. In this listing (and in most of his listings) they are being hosted from a free (of course) Linux 'cloud' server located in Great Britain.

www.nttnmd.com/P40/Sale_2055/705%20(1).jpg
cloud217.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Don! Good stuff. I wonder if the listings are part of the prison work program?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many thanks Don! Good stuff. I wonder if the listings are part of the prison work program?

Yes, thank you for that hint, Don.

I guess this type of prison work program is better than stabbing garbage on the side of the highway. Still, no matter how 'fun' this type of work is for him, he is still behind bars. It appears that he has taught his flock well.
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are books and websites which promote convicted felons use eBay to turn over a new leaf. For example
https://www.hirefelons.org/entrepre...-for-felons/

While I support folks who have may have made a mistake and have 'paid their dues' I have to wonder about wisdom of promoting something that appears to be 'easy money'. And of course this is not the first time that Ryle has built time in prison, stealing the IDs of dead Irish infants also got him time. He has also been deported from a number of countries including the US and Canada. eBay Safety and Security has also banned him at least twice that I am aware of over the years but since they cannot really vet anyone he just comes back. The only way to push back against his fraudulent actions is education.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A quote from an article on the Ryle fraud conviction:

"Richard Wilkinson, assistant director of HMRC's fraud investigation service said: "Ryle is a hardened fraudster who has no problem with lying, cheating and manipulating others to make money."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...ourt-2062093
Valued Member
Learn More...
364 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, read the article in the link; and did not interpret that as a way to make easy money per se as most of those jobs are not easy at all; but simply an alternative to many of the jobs that one generally cannot get as a convicted felon. Just happen to know someone in that situation; and their knowledge of buying and selling "Star Wars" stuff has been a very useful way to supplement income.

Unless one is a politician; then all the above does not apply.
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   04:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was not making some random point about criminals working after getting out of prison. I was replying to the two previous posts about "prison work program" and the fact that this criminal has previously not reformed at all. I think that he uses the eBay venue because it supports multiple, unvetted eBay accounts and knows that people cannot feasibly seek legal recourse when a person is in a legal jurisdiction half way around the world. This kind of anonymous online money making is a perfect way to remain faceless; like wearing a stocking over your face when robbing a virtual bank.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Humans are just so predictable if you push the right buttons. Ryle has 210 auctions running at the moment. Only 13 of those started at 99 cents with the balance starting quite high. Of course the 13 penny start auctions all have high catalog value, up to $75,000. There are 4 group lots and the balance are Siegel type individual items with very high catalog if genuine.

Those first 13 lots all have numerous bids. There is undoubtably shill bidding taking place but "real" people are bidding as well. Once you reach the 14th lot down the list sorted by number of bidders the biddiing drops to absolute zero. It is like a wall was erected. It is just so predictable that people will bypass their "this does not make sense/smells like BS meter" and let greed take over.

My observations are old news but I find the behavior endlessly fascinating.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another hint of shilling is to look at bidder activity, then click on individual bidders. It gives the percentage of their bids placed with this seller. B/c this is a new account for him it is a very low percentage but with an older account where there is likely shill bidding going on you come across several bidders with percentages in the 90s. etc. Unfortunately, you can see this with some of the more popular sellers in the stamps category. How likely is it for a buyer on eBay to buy from one dealer 9 out of 10 times? or an even higher percentage? Am I wrong to assume this is shilling?
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is only one vendor on eBay that I bid. If you were to look at my profile it is 100% with that vendor.
Interesting thread .
Edited by GMC89 - 03/06/2021 09:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the process of watching these latest Ryle listings and researching them. There is a block being auctioned right now, a US Scott J60 block, that has a WT Crowe cert from November 2020. It would be great if William sees this comment and could shed any light at all about the travels or status of this block. I am trying to figure out if the cert is genuine, if Ryle actually possesses the block and if so how he ended up with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-US-Pe...393148614200
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a group lot that was sold by the Ryle ID "bank-notes" on 24 January for $7,725.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Early-i...265013924219

This same lot is now being sold by "stampsandcovers":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Early-i...393148645806

I could show the same for dozens of these listing right now. Is this about money laundering right now since the material is really never sold (at least some of it)?
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GMC89: Why do you only purchase from 1 vendor on eBay? I would say most of us shop for a "something" looking for price, total cost, and a reputable vendor.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Relationship, trust, quality of material. Tight grading standards, I.e. tears, stains, reperfs etc. Everything Cartel is not.
Honesty, loyalty. Just a great vendor. Plus the seller takes checks.
Edited by GMC89 - 03/07/2021 08:18 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,573Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05