Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Warning - New Active Cartel Seller ID "Stampsandcover" On Ebay

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,737Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   08:13 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't whom else he deals with, but the majority of the stamps I list on eBay (not large numbers of lots) are bought by one person - I suppose he's used to dealing with me, gets his stamps cheaply and quickly and receives the odd freebie. I'm very grateful for his purchases.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems my assumptions were way off. Folks do focus on one dealer on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some do some don't, Philly.
To each his own.
I think it was Rodgcam, who posted perhaps "money laundering"
What else could it be? Regardless it's criminal.
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   09:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion I doubt it is laundering. Money laundering means large amounts of 'illegal' cash needs to be made 'legitimate', he does not have a side business selling drugs, slaves, or gambling. It is highly unlikely he would be generating huge amounts of illegal cash while sitting in prison and all eyes are on him.

I think he is doing a version of 'cooking the books' and this is supported by the fact that he has been establishing a number of stamp companies and then trying to sell them. Additionally, it is not illegal to sell to yourself so he can do this while the heat is on him; the illegal part would only come if he then sells the companies down the road (like once he gets out). He is fine with paying the eBay fees on selling to himself, this 'cost of doing business' which will be returned many times over if he can find a dupe who believes his cooked books and pays an exponential multiple of what the company is actually worth.

When you own and build a company and work it for years you can some money, but the real money is made when you sell your company. He knows this.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, there it is: $30K Cat Value (His # in the description, not mine) 'sold' for $6750. 22% for what appears to be mostly faulty stuff. Rather than speculate on the details, I would love to know 'who' 'bought' this 'lot'.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4370 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who bought the lot? The shill. Lot will be sold over and over again.
Pillar Of The Community
795 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
-This listing looks strange

First, to the southeast of the portrait, there appears a trace of a circular cancellation. Second, for a sheet stamp, this stamp has exceptionally clean-cut perforations at top. I do not know what post office clerck would use a cutter to separate a perforated stamp from a sheet. Since the top right and bottom right perforations do not appear to be similar, this must have had a vertical comb perforator. It would require closer examination to see if vertical perforations line up.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Money laundering means large amounts of 'illegal' cash needs to be made 'legitimate', he does not have a side business selling drugs, slaves, or gambling. It is highly unlikely he would be generating huge amounts of illegal cash while sitting in prison and all eyes are on him.

Never looked at it that way. I was thinking that perhaps he was doing the laundry as a service to other folks?

It is amazing to me that while all eyes are upon him (wonder if they really are) eBay apparently is blind.
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as eBay is getting their fees, I doubt they care unless people complain and the claims can be proven. eBay has no feasible way to vet anyone, they obviously check their own data but are certainly not going to hire costly investigators and make house calls.

In my opinion the inability to vet is an significant issue with many online selling venues, they have to make buyers feel comfortable when the reality is it is mostly an 'honor system'. You are buying something sight unseen (not in hand) and are trusting that it is as described when you have no real recourse half way around the world. And the flip side is that honest sellers are trusting that the buyers are not scamming either. The lack of proper vetting is the problem with both directions; there are endless articles, books, and websites on getting back into these venues once you get NARUed. Ultimately anytime there is a system that can be used to take advantage of others it attracts the low-lives among us.
Don

Edit: I remained stunned that APS has not yet figured out how to make the APS Store user friendly and the submission process more efficient and require much less manpower. They have a huge advantage on the vetting issue and could have been grabbing market share (and generating new membership) over the last decade.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,737Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05