Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Couple Of Questions These Are Either A Set Of 262/263 Or 276/277

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dgparent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know the difference is the early ones were not WM and when I hold these up to strong light I can't see one, I guess I will have to use some clarity to make sure, but I have never done that so I am nervous.

Also does the 262 or 276 look way too light? All the examples I have seen are darker blue. Thanks !

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3503 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top stamp is Scott 2875, from the souvenir sheet issued in 1994.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $2 pictured is from a Souvenir Sheet issued in 1994, Scott #2875, of 4 stamps to the sheet. It is a modern re-issue. The paper is different and the color is different (I am sure there are other differences) from the originals.

The scan of the $5 is a little fuzzy. It appears to be an original stamp (no re-issues to worry about like the $2), but I would still worry. It could be a fake, altogether, but is not apparent in the photo. The "5" cancel is one that I have never seen on this issue. Numerals in cancels can represent a number of things - Post Office Branch, or rate, or many other things. Although '5' is a fairly standard #, I think it would be a mistake to think that the "5" here represents the $5 that the stamp represents - I've never see a bare # representing a DOLLAR amount (from 19th Century, certainly). I guess I am saying that I am a little leary about the genuineness of the stamp, overall, but also leary about the cancel that is on it. You should get it looked at, in person, by a pro.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgparent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone just ran across a 122 or 132 can't tell if it has a grill looks like it does though and O70 in the same bag. Hopefully they are all legit
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6232 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing looks good about the $5 stamp. Cancel looks modern day and they appear to have dripped some. Whole thing looks hokey.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, the O-70 (all the $$$ values of that set, actually) are famous for being faked. I used to have a set that looked quasi-good, but had the word "FACSIMILE" printed in small letters over the portrait between "Department" and "State". There are many others that don't admit to being fake. Some are meant to deceive, some are meant to be 'souvenirs'.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2271 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 5 in circle cancel is likely a fake. There were rubberstamp sets with the number in a circle about this size that were often used to pricemark canned goods that's my guess as to its origin. The color is a shade of blue that is very common in modern times but is not normal for the period the stamp was in use. If one would be allowed to put a UV light on it, my money says it would glow very brightly, meaning the ink was from the last 50 years or so.

Further, the fancy cancel types of the period nearly all come from small offices. Contrariwise, only the largest offices would have $5 stamps available. What use would a tiny PO have for a whole pane of $5 stamps?
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/03/2021 10:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the $5 - I just noticed the perf tips look weird in places. It looks like they end in an unnatural white. Almost like the entire stamp was mounted on a very white piece of backing paper and someone 'tried' to add perforations to the backing so that they would correspond to the ones on the stamp. Just looks very funky. Maybe it is a remnant of the photograph.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05