Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Do You Buy Cinderellas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Cinderellas are probably my favorite things to collect, but sometimes it can be tedious to buy them the way I buy them— usually on eBay one by one as I see ones I like. Is there a more efficient (and maybe cheaper) way? I'm talking a kiloware style box of cinderellas that I can dig through for a month. Does such a thing exist? I've gotten lucky sometimes with cinderella filled albums, but well curated ones are few and far between.

Where do you go and how much do you spend usually?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
Sorry, but you have missed the boat.
Enduring sideways strange glances from room bidders 20 years ago
I was buying them dirt cheap, they had yet to find broad acceptance,
Collections were had in Chinese stock books for $5 upwards.

Then eBay happened,
I still buy, but VERY few and far between, I now collect images, a lot cheaper.

I recently identified my "I dreamt I was on a stamp in my Maidenform bra" from a MAD comic.

The full sheet is now for sale for $175

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 03/03/2021 8:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May god help us all. Honestly that's what I'd figured. Do reputable auction houses even sell cinderells? Too low brow for them? Images are not enough! It's never enough
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do reputable auction houses even sell cinderells

Not that I have noted, flaws and errors appear to be widest from the norm.

Local and City auctions here in Western Australia will sell anything.
Cinderellas included.
I feel the average cinderella commands about $3 -$5 each now, in my experience.

Like member Bobby de La Rue suggested, earlier, (dross on eBay) eBay now has a large complement of common cinderellas for outrageous prices.
One has to be very patient, and have a good search regime to capture anything at a reasonable price.

There is a Chinese stock book of Cinderellas, currently on eBay ...$775
Edited by rod222 - 03/03/2021 9:21 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Images are not enough!

I value my $ in my wallet highly,
one sets one limits to their disposable income,
for me $5 for a cinderella removes the "fun" of collecting.

100 cinderellas $300
Edited by rod222 - 03/03/2021 9:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp store of the American Philatelic Society has a quite interesting Cinderella section. Fair prices, easy returns if there is a problem.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2321 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a focus of my collecting, but I do add cinderellas from small country collections from worldwide albums that I buy. One or two wanted stamps might be enough for me to buy a lot in some cases, but such lots will often contain a few revenues and cinderellas. Whenever there are a lot of the latter, say half a page or more, there's often strong bidding that will take me out of the running.

Working for a dealer years ago, I came across a batch of US cinderellas in a White Ace album box. That was the last batch I've ever seen not chock full of Christmas seals and the like. Since the dealer didn't know pricing and didn't care, he just kept them in a box, for years. I priced them up by gosh and by golly, and at the first show, a collector wanted to buy the whole display album of Hawid pages, including dups. I would have let him buy it all but the dealer allowed the customer to only buy part. One more fill up of the pages and most of the box was gone. After that, it was hard to keep that dealer from trying to sell modern US Easter and Christmas seals or from trying to sell things like S&H Green Stamps for $2.

The point to take away is that it did take years to accumulate a box that wasn't but half full, if that. And there were a quite a few that were the commoner British and US stamp show private souvenir sheets which I didn't bother to try to price up.
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/03/2021 11:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   01:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can often, but not invariably, find lots of Cinderellas, sometimes substantial ones, in UK auctions (here, the term also encompasses fiscal stamps). They seem to be quite popular, as others have said.
Pillar Of The Community
2215 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too, am a cinderella fan. On e-bay, they sometimes ask for too high prices. But I, in normal times (not-covid), buy cinderellas at my city (Barcelona, Catalonia, W. Europe) stamp market from 0.1 € (0.12$) a piece. In general, I pay around 0.5 € for each one, mostly European cinderellas.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting how some view Cinderella's as "not worth much". When in reality they can command a very hefty price. I see poster stamps that bring $100's of dollars and I could show Christmas Seals that bring that and more.
Cinderella's have started becoming more and more popular just like the Match and Medicine stamps that usually bring more than catalog regardless of condition.
I have a pretty decent US Classics collection but my Local US Christmas Seal collection is better by leaps and bounds.
Several places to find Cinderella's are: all the big auction houses, Poster Stamp Bulletin, the Christmas Seal and Charity Stamp Society, there is a large Cinderella Club/Society I think in the UK, several Cinderella dealers that primarily sell on eBay now, the list does go on.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05