Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Revenue Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 914Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31673 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you know the significance (if any) of the small holes on the lower value stamp?

Of all the thousands of Japanese Revenues, I have seen I do not believe I have ever seen a single PERFIN.

There are two or more, Revenues / Seals that come punctured,
The Japanese Postal Seal
and another, unidentified stamp, that has a line of punctures, of the Japanese Postal Flag ( A Capital "T" with a double line horizontal bar to the "T")

Possibly a Japanese Cash Envelope Postal seal (Green)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Blue=people-ninmae
Yellow=rations-shina
Red=Sen or rin-
Maybe?
(never thought on a friday night I would find guessing what a Japanese stamp has written on it so entertaining, not sure I should blame the kids or covid )
Edited by Just_fella - 03/06/2021 12:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Philatarium

Thanks for posting the table of numerals.

Printed a copy. Taped on inside cover of Japan album for future reference.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea calstamp!
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that's helped with this little journey of mine
The information is priceless
It's greatly appreciated
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodney: Thanks for your observations on the punches! You are far more systematic about noting these things and capturing images (and organizing so that you can find them again!) than I am. Greatly appreciated!

Calstamp: I am happy that someone prepared that entry on Wikipedia! In the past, I've dug through old reference materials and dictionaries when I needed to check on these old numeral characters. Fortunately, last evening I had a momentary flash of insight to look for a chart, and then an extra spurt of neuron firing to have the presence of mind to convert it from encoded text (which won't show up correctly on this board and others as well) into a screenshot and then a cropped jpg. I uploaded it to my Google Drive so that I could retrieve it easily from any device.

Just_fella: I'm a little short on time this morning, and while I appreciate your enthusiasm in trying to dig into the purpose of the stamp(!), that "ko" (the square character within your red circle), I'm afraid, is just the top half of the "Ni" character in "Nippon"/"Nihon".) If I had more time, I'd prepare the jpgs to show the characters I'm talking about, but you can look back at Rodney's pic of 8 of the stamps in the series to see the full character unobstructed by the cancellation.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again thank you philatarium!
I appreciate that you spent time on my post!
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rodney...

Re holes in Japanese stamps. Spent some time this afternoon looking through various online resources, as well as Barefoot's South East Asia Revenues catalogue (2006) and Narumi's Japanese Revenue Stamp Catalogue (2016). Could find no example of a Japanese stamp with perforated initials (aka perfin) as found in stamps, say, of the BE or Western Europe. The closest commonality being the Japanese "cash envelope seal".

Also, have you already determined the identity of the eight Taisho series stamps you posted earlier in this thread? If not, and assuming you wish to do so, do you know whether each stamp is granite paper or white paper?

Just fella: Again, based on the various resources cited above, could find no category or usage relating to "food ration". As such, concur with observation offered by Philatarium. That is, the two examples you posted are "general revenue" stamps.

Damn rabbit holes.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
agreed on the rabbit holes
I've had no luck with the cancellation either
general use it is!
i have the barefoot #'s and values to place beside

i appreciate all of the help!!!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31673 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, for that chart, very useful.

Quote:
Also, have you already determined the identity of the eight Taisho series stamps you posted earlier in this thread?

Calstamps
No not at all, my Japanese revenues, are a mess at the moment,
lack of a catalogue prevents organisation.

I just keep images of those I need to bid on, if they come up.
I have still to Identify the currency values on those I posted.

The punctures I have witnessed thus far.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3053 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

pic from Yahoo Japan. No information on the perfin.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are beautiful
Edited by Just_fella - 03/06/2021 4:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31673 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
pic from Yahoo Japan. No information on the perfin.

Opinion
Not a Perfin, possibly a Bank puncture from a cheque or receipt "PAID"

Last 2 Revenues 1948
Edited by rod222 - 03/06/2021 5:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just_fella - I didn't see this answered above but I could be wrong... apologies if I am just repeating someone.

In your scan above, the red circle is just "Ni-hon", or Japan. (#26085;#26412;). Bear in mind this was before WWII, and the Japanese still wrote their horizontal text from right to left - so it looks like this instead: (#26412;#26085;). The other fascinating thing about that is that Japanese stamps - revenue and postage - used a font which is very similar to the ancient "tensho" style of writing... it's really fascinating! The lines are curved instead of angled, and corners were rounded.

I'm new here - and thrilled to find this topic!
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, when I posted my comment above, I used the Kanji characters on my iPad keyboard but they didn't work in the post... ok, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't here. But the romaji is NI-HON (read right to left).
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much appreciated Bcanton
It was my first attempt with google (I prefer paper in my hand)
It's gonna take me some time but I just found a couple resources (not sure how deep I'll get it's difficult on a phone, but for now it's a blast)
Thanks for answering!

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 914Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05