Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcard Newbie Seeking Advice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 310Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add debaguley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just getting into the hobby. My interest in the beginning will be WWI postcards especially the flyers. I know Germany treated their flyers like national heroes and used the postcards almost like baseball cards here in the states. A couple of questions:
1) whats the best way to protect the postcards? Soft sleeves and top loaders?
2) what is the general size of WWI postcards? What size sleeves and top loaders should I use?
3) hints to smart collecting?
4) did other countries print a lot of flyer postcards like Germany did?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1) The best way is to keep them from too much exposure to air and bright light. The sleeves you mentioned are the way to do it. Look for stamp supply companies to have a selection as "cover sleeves" or somesuch. Poly sleeves work and are the cheapest method; I believe they are still only side loading. I'd prefer the harder ones that are top loading that come in two thicknesses, 5 mil (slighty less than two sheets of paper thick) and 10 mil, both equally sturdy in my opinion. I'd get a pack of each type to start to see what you like best.

2) General common size is about 5.5 x 3.5 inches like US postcards of the period. The above sellers will give you measurements for holders.

3) Have fun!

For your area of interest, you will have to be willing to take part in the hunt for material. This could include online sources as well as any local stamp and postcard shows. Don't be intimidated by some prices you may see as they will be all over the place. You will have to learn (rough) valuation with experience, including those of mint vs. used cards, condition levels and autographs (real, printed, faked and forged). Clearly, von Richtofen's and Eddie Rickenbacker's will be popular and expensive as well as having a chance of having a forged autograph (if present).

The same dealers noted above might have photos, stereoscope viewcards, postcards of unidentified fliers and just plain autographs. So you might be extending your interests into those areas as well.

4) France, for sure. African-American Eugene Bullard served in the French army and air force and appeared on postcards, I believe.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:02 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As well as the imdividual pockets that hy-brasil mentions, you can also store them in albums, which is my own preference. Here, the albums designed for cigarette cards will hold postcards in their two-section pages. Lots of manufacturers - from Lighthouse down - make larger albums that will accommodate four cards per side.

Enjoy.
Pillar Of The Community
3530 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About 20 years ago I started a collection of postcards from a prolific U.S. publisher. I did not know much about this publisher, so I decided to set a spending limit of not more than $1.50 for any card during the first year or two until I got my feet wet. In the years which followed, I gradually upped my spending limit and now just go ahead and buy any card when I find one I have not found in 20 years of searching. I waded into the shallow end of the pool and went deeper as I learned to swim. No doubt flier cards start off quite a bit higher!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5531 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   02:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started a thread about French WWI postcards some time ago, but rather lost heart

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=59023

I'll see if I have any flying-themed cards. Yvert also has a book about the postal service during WWI

https://www.yvert.com/A-196310-la-p...ondiale.aspx
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05