Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Method To Liquidate A 50's Thru Current Plate Block Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,152Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dweisstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have a bunch of plate blocks from the 50's up to current (in binders and also loose) that I no longer have room for nor desire to collect. I thought I could sell them for some collectable value but see on this forum and have experienced dealers telling me they have no collectable value, only as postage.

Question to you wise ones- Are there ANY specific plate blocks in that date range which MIGHT have value to some collector? If so, is there a list of the top 10 or 20? If not, I guess I'll figure out how to either use them or donate them to a non-profit who can use them for postage.

One dealer said they would buy them from me at 20-30% of the face value, organize them and then sell them to bulk mailers for 50% of face value.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for gaining some value for them? I'm for sure using the more recent ones to mail. I'm never buying a stamp again for holiday cards. It kind of pains me to use them for postage.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1468 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the 1956 $5 Hamilton from the Liberty Series commonly sells as a plate block for $65 to $125.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the dealer offer is likely that market, *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar Of The Community
3473 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The challenge of the lower face value blocks (say, less than 10 or 13 cents), is that it takes so many to do anything. Thus the demand is much lower than for the more recent stamps where 2 or 3 will carry a letter when combined.

I have been buying 25's at discount then using two with a pair of 3's to get them used up. It looks like I am wasting a penny, but the savings on the 25's makes up for it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I use stamps to mail an envelope I always tack on a few three cent commemoratives to spruce things up and maybe pique the recipients curiosity. I place more than the amount required but I have enough for my lifetime sitting in boxes. Sometimes my envelopes are covered stem to stern in different old stamps and my wife just looks at me sideways. Hee, hee, hee….
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whenever I use stamps to mail an envelope I always tack on a few three cent commemoratives to spruce things up and maybe pique the recipients curiosity...

Piquing the recipients curiosity or piquing the thieves curiosity?
Don
Valued Member
143 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any unused post WWII stamp that was the then current first class rate is unlikely to generate a premium. Higher denominations, however, may carry a premium, such as the $5 Hamilton already mentioned. Air mail and postage due PBs might garner some interest, or at least sell closer to face value. Despite the above, I'd continue to save any PB with superb centering. As for the remainder, lick 'em and stick 'em.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
473 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few regular issues and commemoratives worth north of $100. Values are from the 2021 Scott Specialized Catalogue for US

#1053 - $5 Alexander Hamilton..............PB4 = $210
#1789B - 15¢ John Paul Jones perf 12 .... PB10 = $37,500
#2870 - 29¢ Recalled Legends of the West..pane of 20 = $220

Additionally. most of the high denomination Priority Express Mail stamp plate blocks are quite valuable. Check the Scott Catalogue for specific values or see my 2nd post further down this thread.

Also, the 1959 Postage Due #J88 ½ cent ...... PB4 = $120
Edited by uboatnut - 03/05/2021 8:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they are the lower denominations (first class or anything less than $1.00 face value), the advice is not off target.

If you have $1.00, $2.00 or $5.00 denomination blocks, they are worth much closer to face if not more. For example, the 1950s $5.00 Hamilton is worth much more, and very sellable by itself. If you have any Priority, Express, etc., blocks or booklets, they are worth close to face or more. You probably already know this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is not really my field, but it might be helpful to note that there is also the Durland Plate Number Catalog, which identifies and suggests a catalog value for each plate block number for a given US stamp. There are cases where some pb numbers are more scarce than others, and the Durland can help surface that information.

I don't know enough about this particular area to say whether or not there are scarcer numbers among what are thought to be common plate blocks, but I bet someone here may know.

Here's a description of the catalog written by the librarian at the APS/American Philatelic Research Library:

http://blog.stamplibrary.org/2019/0...ber-catalog/

Here's the most recent edition (I think) of the catalog for sale by the US Stamp Society:

https://www.usstamps.org/store/

I would imagine that a slightly older edition could be had on eBay or possibly through used book sites at a cheaper price.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 03/05/2021 8:07 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
473 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK - here's the Priority Mail Express stamps - plate blocks of 4 MNH with 2021 Scott Specialized US values of at least $100: Face Value = the denomination of a single stamp, not its Scott value.

Edited by uboatnut - 03/05/2021 8:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5938 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great demonstration of how out of touch Scott values can be. The 2020 Express Mail blocks are available through USPS for $105.40 which is, you guessed it, face value.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1211 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For collectors of plate #s, there are specific blocks that may be of value. If you have access to a Durland catalogue, you might check it for some of the more valuable blocks. I can recall a couple of the Great American plate blocks, Thomas Gallaudet I think, that were scarce. Most Gallaudet PBs had CV of $4 but two of them, plate # 8 & 9 as I recall, were valued at around $150.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
473 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ROGDCAM: That's only because the $26.35 2020 Express Mail stamp is still the 2021 Express Mail rate. Eventually, that rate will rise (might even do so this year if USPS has its way). When that happens, that stamp will disappear and the new replacement will become available, and the Scott value will become closer to reality. Until then, you are correct - only a fool would pay more than face value for this or any other stamp or plate block still available at the post office or from the USPS store.
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   05:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1991 Express Mail Eagle in Flight is a good example of how US mint stamps do not appreciate over time and how catalog publishers struggle to deal with inflation in their valuations (why they do not write more about the impact of inflation in their valuation explanations is beyond me).

In 1991 you could buy a plate block of four of the Express Mail Eagle in Flight (#2542) for $56.00. The 2021 catalog valuation is $100.00. This $100 is actually below face value in 1991 dollars, in 1991 dollars the face value today would be $107.56. (A 1991 dollar is worth $1.92 today due to inflation.) https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

These Express Mail Eagle in Flight plate blocks are currently selling under $70; anyone who purchased these back plate blocks in 1991 is not going to come close to getting their original value back. They have lost approximately 35% of their face value when you factor in inflation.

This issue is not just for plate blocks, it applies to most other modern US stamps. Here is a catalog value/inflation analysis of the C13, C14, C15 Zeppelins; the catalog value in 1945 was almost exactly the same as it was in 2016 (when I did the analysis) when you account for inflation.
https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/Z...gTrends.html

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2545 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***

see revised message on page 2
Edited by eyeonwall - 03/06/2021 09:59 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,152Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05