Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greetings From Northern New England

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 377Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kezar Kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I am looking at my family's stamp collection for the first time in at least 40 years. I collected and added a little bit back in the 60's, but then the collection just sat in attics until now. We are down-sizing so I am looking through all my "stuff". When I collected I only was interested in US stamps but I knew my Great Grandfather on down did collect everything. I have quite a bit and am looking to find out more about the collection. I know nothing about non-US and not much more about US stamps.
I'll post a few pictures here then post in the appropriate forums.
The first album shown is the oldest, but there are many more.
Thanks for any insights.
JW

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9488 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Don and welcome. I am pretty new on this site but have been a collector since childhood.

The Lincoln Album you posted could have interesting material in it (so could the other album). I purchased a Lincoln album a number of years ago which was in much better condition than yours. I use it to store duplicates from 19th century worldwide, anything that is a dup which is listed in the albums catalogue.

The other stamps are nice looking. Are you getting back into collecting?

BobbyT
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7522 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those albums are about my age! Welcome,

Peter
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kezar Kid,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard! Where in Maine are you located? My wife and I have a summer home in Southern NH and when a young teenager went to Camp Takajo in Naples, Maine during the summer.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the welcome.
When I was collecting I really enjoyed the beauty of the stamps and the feeling of quality and artisanship in something so mundane as a stamp. I also learned a lot. I never at a young age, would have known who Dag Hammarskj÷ld was, or the Grange, or which countries were over run by Nazi Germany, or what a Graf Zeppelin was.
I was born in Washington DC and we would go down the the main post office sometimes to buy stamps.
I have a lot of good memories associated with stamp collecting.
Papa, I'm in Western Maine, not too far from Naples.
Kezar Lake is where my family went in the summers.
Edited by Kezar Kid - 03/06/2021 5:11 pm
Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome JW. How old is the album in the first photo? Really cool piece.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3046 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
Al
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Andy, I'm not sure how old it is. Here's a picture of the first page but no date. My Great Grandfather was born in 1855 and died in 1938, so in there somewhere. From the wear on it, he had it a while. Most of the places in the whole album have had stamp hinges on them, but most of the book is empty. I think my Dad may have moved stamps to one of the newer albums I have. There are some stamps still in it. Attached are a few pictures from it.

Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting! Thank you for sharing the photos.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05