Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948-49 China Watermark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 212Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PMStamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I am sorting through and mounting various envelopes of unidentified China stamps, I ran across these 2. They appear to be Scott 828 and 832. However, these are listed in Scott with no indication of Wmk. or Unwmk. So to follow the usual Scott practice of using what the last indication was, I assume these should be Unwmk.

However, as per the photos, they are clearly watermarked with vertical wavy lines. Again there is no such watermark listed in Scott for this time period of China, or are they a later printing on Wmk. 281 paper? Maybe someone can tell me what I have here.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3053 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
looks like residue of strokes of gum when applied.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting response. The originals were all issued with no gum. These stamps were ungummed and washed in warm water to remove hinge remnants. So since they are unused, where is the gum coming from?

I have now found several others from this surcharge issue that show the same wavy lines. I am starting to wonder if this is ribbed paper instead of a watermark. Hopefully someone with a more specialized China catalogue can shed some light on this.
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Source: Ma's Illustrated Catalogue of the Stamps of China (1998 edition).

Scott A63. Issued 1944-46. Chungking Chung Hwa print. 20-cent scarlet. Typographed. Perforation 12.5 line type. Unwatermarked. Printed on native paper without gum. (Per Ma, 15.5 version has high catalogue value.) (Ma, page 189)

Scott A62. Issued 1942-43. Central Trust Print. 25-cent purple. Typographed. Perforation 13. Unwatermarked. Printed on native paper with line marks. Without gum.

Per Ma, five readily distinguishable paper types. (Pages 143-46.)

Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Calstamp. Since I do not have a Ma catalogue, I do not have a listing of what the 5 paper types are on pages 143-46. However, the comment "Printed on native paper with line marks" seems to answer my question and suggests that it is what we would call ribbed paper as I started to suspect.
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

PMStamp.

Appreciate your acknowledgement.

Plz note that your SCF profile prohibits sending you email. And as the Ma Catalogue is a copyrighted work, am not willing to post four pages of content. Personal transmittal for educational purposes is another matter.
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for pointing out the e-mail issue. I was not aware of that apparent default setting and have now changed it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 212Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05