Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clear Background Or Black Background

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,652Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jcd390 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to start a new used US Album but I have been debating between black background or clear background mounts. Does anyone have a side by side comparsion. Also which do you prefer? Black or Clear?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having used both my personal preference is finally settled as clear. More forgiving to layout and affix and blends in so much better. The one thing that I still like about black is the contrast it provides in order to see perforations better and to make some colors show more dramatically.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5963 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   02:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hinge used stamps. If you use a mount, clear works better with used as it comes closer to a hinged look (and clear works better with all printed albums, as it doesn't obscure text etc). I'd use black mounts for mint on white quadrille.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3204 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer clear. As said, if you hinge, clear mounts mix well visually. Black is less forgiving in placement, cutting, etc. A black mount will also cover up any printing under the mount.
Al
Edited by angore - 03/08/2021 06:02 am
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer clear for all of the reasons stated above.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clear for me. Forgiving if I cut or mount a bit crooked. Can still see design or denomination underneath in case I put mount on the wrong space.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would hinge them since you don't need to worry about the gum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clear, for many of the same reasons stated. To expand: Black mounts that are cut incorrectly, not square, not lined up exactly on a page, don't cover the lined black box on the page or aren't centered exactly within the black box, are all very distracting to my eye and draws my sight away from the stamp. Clear mounts can mask many of these problems. My main goal, with mounts, or hinges, is to make sure the stamp looks centered within the stamp box. Clear mounts allow that to happen even with badly cut mounts or undersized/oversized mounts. The one drawback is the lack of contrast between the perforations and the album page But I'm ok with that.

One way to have the contrast AND still use clear mounts is to make your own pages using extra thick stamp boxes
Valued Member
333 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer black. The contrast makes the stamp "jump" in terms of appearance. If you do go black, get a guillotine cutter and take special care placing it. As others note, if you don't get it square relative to others, it'll show.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1569 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:55 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clear is my clear favorite. I like to cut a strip for a whole row and this looks better with a clear mount. I sell on eBay and an album with a lot of empty black mounts is nearly worthless.

On the other hand I would like to buy a bulk lot of mounts from an auction but these are almost always predominantly black mounts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer black mounts and separate them with scissors, usually with the stamp or souvenir sheet already in. I've not lost a stamp in 30+ years of using back mounts. I've had no need for any sort of a cutter other than scissors as I can usually cut "straight."

As for hinging used stamps, as Geoff suggests, usually 'yes' for me. However, I do use mounts for any used stamps with a catalogue value above US $50 or 60, or stamps that are on really thin paper.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/08/2021 09:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All my previously started albums have the black mounts for the reasons already mentioned. Exhibits get clear ones. And for my latest adventure with a new album, its clear mounts on black quadrille pages. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, this presentation looks eye-poppingly incredible!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use black split-back mounts for all my stamps. As previously stated, they are tricky at first. An incorrectly cut mount or a poor alignment on the page will really show. It takes some practice.

On the positive side, I like the way they frame the stamp. They also make light colored stamps "pop" and I think they show off the perforations better.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
379 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black Showgard mounts only. Purely personal preference. Purportedly. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1148 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black Scott mounts. Clear mounts shows stuff under or near the stamps you may NOT want to see. Also most stamps have a white border that shows better in black mounts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal preference: Black backed mounts split in the middle (Showgard). s others, I like how it provides contrast to the stamp it holds.

Purely personal preference though. Don't do what others do. Do what you want. Feel free to digest everybody's comments on why they do what they do. In the end, the plus and minuses for each balance out and you are left with only one thing that should decide it: personal preference.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,652Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05