Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clear Background Or Black Background

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,376Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
192 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only mount your higher priced stamps at $5.00 or more. I prefer the clear mounts because they mix better with my white pages than the black mounts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
46 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@docgfd,

Clear mounts on black quadrille pages sounds amazing and best of both worlds. I guess it would look like a black Vario page but neater.

Do they actually make black quadrille pages? It gets me wondering if it would be possible to print album pages on black paper with white ink.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
755 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   12:38 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tsmatx - I was aware of black quadrille pages but had never tried them before now. I asked a similar question recently and everything you need to know can be had by following this thread on this site:

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=76340

Be sure to follow the link GeoffHa provides of scans of his black pages (you'll need to scroll down to get to them) and you'll see how eye-popping this presentation can be.
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started using black mounts as a teenager 50+ years ago. However, at that age it was all about getting the stamps into an album as quickly as possible. Once I was in my 30s and 40s, the look of the rushed mounting no longer pleased me and the fact that I could not see the information below the mount in order to build my database of what I had made me switch to clear mounts.

After doing that for several years I found that the clear mounts had their own issues. As someone else pointed out, you have to be very careful with clear mounts not picking up dust, lint, hair, etc. which they may pick up when moistened and before placing it on the page. Nothing like having a nice stamp centred in a clear mount with a piece of lint stuck down right beside it. Removing the mount will undoubtedly damage the page and that damage is next to impossible to hide with a clear mount.

That combined with my opinion that stamps do not "pop" like they do with a black background made me go back to black mounts and I am now in the process of replacing all of the clear mounts with black ones.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clear for me. While for any single stamp, cover, block, etc black does look nice, I can't get past how terrible a whole page of black mounts on white or cream paper appears to me. And I won't even go into sloppy cutting, or crooked placement.

Honestly, I use preprinted, premounted pages for pretty much everything. Whatever doesn't fit, or areas for which I can't find that, I revert to DIY, and clear. A collection is as much about its presentation as contents.

Hinges are anathema to me. Hate them and won't ever use them, for anything. IMO, if the stamp or piece is worth having in one's collection to begin with, it's worth being put in a real mount.
Valued Member
76 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black for me, for same reasons as above. I also use scissors with the stamp in the mount, haven't hit anything ever. I think a key here is to get GOOD scissors. Mine are 'Gingher'. My bride is a quilter and suggested these as her favorite. They only cut mounts. I have others for any other use. Have had them many years, no problem. They are not large, nor heavy, but are well machined.
Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Boxcar, what model/size do you use? Been using Fiskars shears and they work well, up until about the 44 mm and greater mounts and then they seem to leave a little tab in the center sometimes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5541 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andyrich, I think your problem with the "tab" is a matter of physics. The larger mounts tend to bend as you cut.

One solution might be to put a scrap of paper in the mount before you cut. This would keep it from flexing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
483 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I much prefer the black, split-back mounts - Scott or Prinz.

That said, my wife is a dedicated quilter. She uses a rotary cutter on a green OLFA Rotary Mat to cut all of her fabrics. These are inexpensive and can obtained at most fabric stores. The mats have a printed grid, so getting a perfect 90 angle is simple. The mats come in many sizes, but I find that the 17 x 22 inch fits my desk easily, and no mount is larger than that. I just lay the mount on the grid and cut it to size with the rotary cutter (those darn things are VERY SHARP; don't get careless). SIMPLE.
Edited by uboatnut - 03/24/2021 6:37 pm
Valued Member
76 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andyrich, from the fulcrum nut to the tip is 3 1/4 inches. They are not long, good for up to maybe a 40-42 mm mount. Larger stuff like S/S and multiples go in stock pages, so I seldom have need for much larger. In the event I sometimes use a metal straight edge and a fresh exacto #11 blade and handle. That makes a nice controlled cut. I find the rule sufficient to keep things "plumb".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
517 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black. I want to see the perforations. I am perplexed by issues folks have with cutting them straight and mounting them square. I use a stamp mount cutter. I mount every stamp from a 3c commemorative to a C3a (if I had one) the same way. If I collected large numbers of world-wide used stamps, I'd go with hinges, though. And I'd use clear mounts for the odd "valuable" stamp in a collection of lots of low-value stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do, too, Philazilla, use a stamp mount cutter. It is ruled along one side so you can make the same size mounts every time. It has a 'springy hold-down thing' (I have no idea what it is really called) to hold the mount down flat while making the cut, which eliminates the uneven cuts between bottom piece (black) and top piece (clear). It will cut all but the absolute largest mounts. I am a cheapskate at heart, but the money spent on this tool is some of the best money I've spent. If I have to cut anything too big for the cutter (very rare), I use a metal ruler and hold the mount down tight to the cutting surface and use an X-Acto knife. The ruler acts similarly to the 'springy hold-down thing' on the mount cutter. I find the mount cutter easier to use, more accurate, safer, and just plain more convenient than the ruler and X-Acto. It is worlds better than scissors - scissors can cut pretty close to square and pretty close to straight, but the cutter cuts perfectly square and perfectly straight. The 'springy hold-down thing' prevents 'mis-registration' between the two layers of the mount - that 'mis-registration' was always my biggest problem with scissors. Again, carefully cutting with scissors might mostly prevent 'mis-registration', but the cutter prevents it 100%.

Right tool for the job.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2996 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Scott album using black mounts. The page was likely designed for hinged. Given the value of the lower series, it should be presented on a separate page by Scott.

Al
Edited by angore - 03/25/2021 06:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Fiskars Sure Cut rotary cutter for mounts and they come out just fine. The reason that I use clear is because it is extremely difficult to apply the mounts in perfect parade form on the pages especially as the album fills up and pages are not lying perfectly flat. I could remove the page to a table but that would get really time consuming. No matter how much layout and care I took when placing mounts on page there were always "sins" when finished and once the adhesive sets it is a done deal. I had my US collection in a Schaubek hingeless (clear mounts) and did not like the presentation and so moved it to black mounts in a National. Loved the stamp on black contrast for perfs and colors but the nit quite perfect mounts popped against the page as well and distracted me.

I guess it is all in what an individual can tolerate for deviation from a linear and squared away presentation.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lou to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I like clear mounts on my Scott pages.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,376Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05