Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clear Background Or Black Background

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,481Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
52 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Philazilla - here is my difficulty placing mounts (especially black ones) 'square'. Cutting them square is not an issue. But when mounting them they are difficult to align, I'm never sure what I should use as a guide (i.e. the bottom, side, top). And they are hard to adjust, they are so sticky you only get a couple of seconds to adjust them before they are permanently affixed.

Clear mounts are actually even harder to align because it is very hard to see the edge of the mount. BUT, they are far more forgiving to the eye if they are not aligned right.

I'm new to using mounts (only 1 year), if anybody has any techniques to share about aligning them I'd definitely be interested in hearing them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
484 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I align the top of the mount (I KNOW that's straight) with the top line of the printed frame on the album page.

Lacking a pre-printed frame, I draw a light pencil line at 90°across the page and align the top of the mount with that. Then I erase the pencil line.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could also use a ruler or other straightedge as a "hard stop." The bottom (or whatever) edge of the mount is aligned when it bumps against the ruler.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
518 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I line them up with a printed line for where the stamp goes. I can line it up with any of the 4 sides that are convenient. A tiny bit of the guideline might show up, but usually it doesn't. I usually line up on the bottom or top and then move it the width of the line to just cover the line. I hold the mount with my left hand and grip it with tongs in with my right and that gives me lots of control and visibility.
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... and there in the jungle sat Tarzan painting white stripes on black zebras, or was he painting black stripes on white zebras, or was he painting black and white stripes on clear zebras?

I have been intrigued by this thread, since it is wholly a matter of preference to each collector. As a postal history collector, I am not as fond of mounting lots of individual stamps on a page - and especially remounting when I want to make a text change. For me, clear mounts didn't define the perforations or centering very well, and black mounts made it look like a mourning exhibit. (What color of mounts do you use for mourning stamps?) Re-mounting also wasted a lot of mounts and time.

I selected something in between and took a lesson from exhibiting to matte an item. Here is a quick sample page I made up a few minutes ago for a 1-frame exhibit I am working on with the dry-print postage dues of the late 1950s. The blocks are in mounts on a fairly neutral colored card stock, which can then be applied to the page of text with your choice of adhesive. The neutral color shows the perforations and centering better than white, but not as starkly as black would. When I change the text, I move the entire matte over and re-stick it to the new page.

Yes, I could achieve the same contrast with only a neutral colored page, but the additional point of the matte concept means little remounting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you attach mounts by moistening the top, I would recommend aligning with the bottom of the mount to the printed box bottom. You have a better chance to adjust slightly before pressing fully.
Al
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,481Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05