Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Netherlands Indies Postal Card From 1902 - Fort DE Kock To Furth Bayern

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 218Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a postal card, from my collection, that I am seeking to gain further information on, from the group. The postmark is Fort De Kock and from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_de_Kock

Fort de Kock was a 19th-century Dutch sconce fortification established over a hill in Bukittinggi, West Sumatra, Indonesia. Around the fortification, a new settlement grew, which eventually grew into the city of Bukittinggi, the second largest city in West Sumatra. Although the remnants of the mound and some cannons can still be seen, the original buildings on top of the sconce have been demolished.

There is an obvious stamp missing. The card is addressed to Mr. Max Offenbacher and a search of the internet reveals this:

Max Offenbacher
Birthdate: August 31, 1854
Birthplace: Fürth, Middle Franconia, Bavaria, Germany
Death: June 27, 1952
Place of death: Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, United States

I was wondering if anyone could help translate this card, which I think is in German. I can see Amsterdam in there twice, but the rest of it is a mystery to me.

Thanks in advance,
Linus

Send note to Staff
Edited by Linus - 03/07/2021 2:48 pm

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fort de Kock January 5, 1902
Mr. Max Offenbacher
Furth
??
? Amsterdam Agent wood
Mister Bauy's Stop. Amsterdam
??
Export ??
we want
?
?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Linus - 03/07/2021 4:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
675 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot read all but will try.

After Furth:

We hereby notify you that our agent in Amsterdam is Messrs Baay & Stop. Amsterdam.

Who will provide a Pricelist and export conditions to be send to you.

Yours sincerely

Name

Not 100% accurate, but pretty close.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. That helps a lot!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05