Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Purchesed This From A Great Britian Lot. Could It Be?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jeremiah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I have checked every line every dot every hair on this stamp.. Could it be what I think it is?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5477 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not British. Resembles a famous American tree surgeon, but others will know more.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
France, Metropolitan
7 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   02:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guilloutran to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure it's a U.S postage/stamp.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I am well aware of it being a 2c Washington. My question is and I believe it to be a 482A
Pillar Of The Community
United States
619 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   04:46 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you think this is a 482A, you need to do more research.
Edited by kcaramat - 03/08/2021 04:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
688 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely not British. Resembles a famous American tree surgeon, but others will know more.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeremiah - First step is to not plan on what you are going to do with that auction money. The second step is to type "482a" into the SCF Search box. The third step should really probably have been the first step and that is to go here:

https://stampsmarter.org/index.html

Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said. I found this in a lot of British stamps I bought. Never said it was a British stamp. Second I have done every bit of research I could think of and still came to the same conclusion. (I usually do before coming on here to be screwed with...go figure). Every line dot color the spacing on the perfs etc...they all match. I have over 300000 stamps and USA is not my specialty area. Althou I am not sure I came to the right place since some of you can't read.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 482a that just sold at auction.
I can see no difference.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If your going to be a smart@$$ be smart first or your just an @$$
Pillar Of The Community
3488 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeremiah,
Gentle suggestion, as you seem to be getting off on the wrong foot here. Thread titles are important. You are asking whether you stamp could be a 482A. It would be better if the title directly addressed that facet.
That said 482A is an extremely close look-a-like to 409 and 482. Have you checked for a watermark?
Edited by John Becker - 03/08/2021 09:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7378 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a 482A. It takes some research and a good glass to see the differences at first, but once one knows what to look for it's pretty easy to spot when it is not one. This is not one.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Watermark is the same. So it would be nice to know exactly what the differences are. I went over this stamp with a 482a and every single line,dot, hair, every missing line,are the same.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeremiah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The color of the picture of my stamp is off because of weird lighting in my home. It is the same color as the auction one I posted in reality
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1213 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lines on the toga rope seem too weak to be a type Ia. My guess would be a type I 482. But that is just a guess. If in the end you remain unconvinced by the naysayers, have it expertized. It would be a longshot at best, but if not 482A the cert would be relatively inexpensive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeremiah - the folks here are actually helpful and not dismissive, if you consider their advice. The color and details of the toga rope appear wrong for 482A. If you are still convinced after visiting the stampsmarter site, then just send it for a cert to get your answer.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,022Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05