Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need Some Wisdom With My Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 692Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kezar Kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have my family's stamp collection that goes back to my Great Grandfather. I added a little bit to it in the mid 60's but it has been relatively untouched since then. I was only interested in US stamps so I never really looked at the non-US which is what I'm looking at now. I need some help determining if the collection has much value. I would call it a large collection but I'm sure many of you here wouldn't, but there are thousands of stamps. I'll post a few pictures just to give an idea, but let me know if you want to see some of the more obscure or non-existent countries, or any country from the mid 1800's on.
Any insights are much appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5466 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. Perhaps you could show the GB pages from the Lincoln.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31656 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Oh, my!
The old Lincoln, what a thing of beauty !
I can almost smell it, feel the years and the countless hands that have turned the pages.

I would take out the few stamps that were missing in my collection,
and leave as is, tis a gorgeous thing.

I have a Lincoln, but it's void and lonely, others stripping out the contents.

Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome.

Looks like the starting point for a nice WW collection. Doubtless there are many memories residing therein.

Believe the first group of stamps/labels are Austrian revenues or fiscal stamps.

Enjoy!
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, your pics are next.
I'll explain a little bit first. My Great Grandfather, John Cervenka, was born in 1855 and died in 1938, just to give some context. The collection passed to his daughter, my Grandmother and her husband. Then down to my father and his brother, then to me via my mother. My Dad died in 1956 when I was one so my Mom is filling in what she knows. I think my father took most of the stamps out of the Lincoln album and put them in the Scott's International Postage Stamp Album - Junior Edition. But not quite all of them.
Attached is a picture of some of the albums. Some are empty, some have stamps in them, but the Scott's seems like the main album. There are shoe boxes and other containers with stamps in them too. It's not very well organized other than the Scott's.
I'm going to show some correspondence, John Cervenka, had with world wide stamp dealers because I find it interesting. We're spoiled by instant communication and much quicker shipping. There are more letters from dealers, but you get the idea.

John Cervenka emigrated from Czech Bohemia.

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, there are other GB stamps but they are scattered throughout the collection. Here are the pages in the main book.

Pillar Of The Community
675 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. It looks like a 2s blue. Difficult to assess the quality from the pictures, but it appears very reasonable. Some stamps appear to have faded.

No really high values. The value will depend on the quality.

The close-ups of the officials, however, show toning. That lowers the value considerably.

Edited by NSK - 03/08/2021 5:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2542 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1st and 3rd pages are revenues.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still looking through the collection and found something I think may be a little unusual. My father worked for the American Mining Congress, (a trade group), in Washington D.C. I think people there knew he collected stamps and he was able to acquire this group from Caterpillar touting a D4 tractor on a new stamp from India. The picture is a 5x6 inch glossy.
Sorry my scans are a little fuzzy.

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When my grandfather added to the collection he was all about quantity not quality.
He took stamp collecting very literally. He soaked off every stamp and pasted it in a book.
First he grouped them together. Then he made patterns with the colorful stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1882 Posts
Posted 03/22/2021   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pasted in a book? As in glued down firmly?
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kezar Kid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I do mean pasted. But this notebook was my Grandfather's, not my Great Grandfather.
It was a gentle paste and the stamps pop right off if not careful.
I can see my Grandfather not wanting to buy some "fancy man" stamp album so he just used a notebook.
And to be fair, I think the duplicates are what is pasted in the back of the book.
The front is organized by country.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 692Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05