Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conversations With Philatelists - Ep. 41: Stamp Smarter And The Future Of Online Philately

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 980Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
9133 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Charles and Michael contacted me a few weeks ago and invited me to sit down with them for a discussion how Stamp Smarter came into being and my opinion on the role that digital philately plays in our hobby. The Podcast is here

Conversations with Philatelists - Ep. 41: Stamp Smarter and the Future of Online Philately
GVZ21BKsh_I

A big 'thank you' to these fellows for helping promote our hobby.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don. I cannot wait to watch it this evening.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
364 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Worth a watch for everyone here.

Appreciated the segment on stamp colors/color gauges.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5365 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great interview. I really enjoyed it.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent interview, thank you for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
523 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent video. Recommend it to everyone here.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent video Don! Your discussion of color was extremely interesting to me. Thank you for all of the hard work that you have put into the furtherance of philately!
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

What have you done to make arrangements for stampsmarter to continue into the future when we're no longer on the planet? Have you secured any proxies/foundations/sponsors in order to keep alive your project/vision and work? It would be a shame for something so good not to continue and to continue being improved and maintained.

One aspect you guys discussed was sharing your collection with others. I think it would be fun and exciting to do so, but I doubt many of us would/do because of the security implications involved with someone knowing who/where you are and what you possess would make it more likely for someone to target you for theft.

One thing I'd sure like to see is a digital identification tool that really worked, that could take 2 pictures (front and back) and automatically detect secret marks, grills, colors, plating, etc.....the way the bank lets you deposit a check by phone now (it does the picture focusing for you) ... still a dream I know, but...

Thank You for you excellent contribution to stamp collecting community! - Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
don that was a terrific interview. I am in awe over your efforts to improve the hobby. guys your episodes have all been interesting and informative and I look forward to your continuing efforts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2974 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice discussion.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good discussion
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

IMO "Conversations" is one of the better APS innovations of late. The enthusiasm of the two young hosts is palpable. And this latest episode with SCF's own Don Denman is both informative and inspirational.

Don, it has been a pleasure to get to know you across the past few years. Your promotion of philatelic education, in a variety of forms, represents a significant (and durable) contribution to the hobby.

Thank you, Don for your dedication and generosity.

Who says the hobby is dying!!
Learn More...
9133 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...What have you done to make arrangements for stampsmarter to continue into the future when we're no longer on the planet? ...

Hi Jim,
I have explored various ways to ensure that the Stamp Smarter continues forward into the future; ideally some of our philatelic libraries would be able to accept digital donations and keep philatelic websites publicly published.
There is support for this from a few libraries but their 'digital archiving' means throwing a DVD disk or USB drive with the website files on a dusty shelf. Since most all websites require a web server to actually work, having some files on a disk makes it virtually inaccessible to the hobby. So year after year we continue to have philatelic web sites going dark and we face a constant 'brain drain'.
From a library/archiving standpoint why are digital efforts consider less important that hard copy efforts? Is pouring 2000 man hours into a hard copy book somehow more 'worthy' than pouring 2000 man hours into a website content?

This frustrated me about 7 years ago and I decided to not wait around to see if the library/archive solution would ever come to fruition. So currently the situation is that the Stamp Smarter website is configured to be as self-sustaining as possible. Donations go straight into an account which pays the hosting fees and no human intervention is required to keep the site published online. All the community database projects are 'crowd sourced' and have a large number of folks who have full access to them. These folks have the ability to not only add/edit the content but also download the community project database content 24/7/365. I view the website as a delivery vehicle, the real value is the content itself and not my web page coding. As such a significant amount of the Stamp Smarter philatelic content is stored in SQL databases which should be viable for decades to come no matter how much the user interface(s) may evolve. The Stamp Smarter site has the ability to keep running fine if I drop dead.

I am also open to other solutions if any long-term organization desires to address their inability to properly archive digital content donations.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was a wonderful interview Don. The segment on color was particularly interesting to me.

Your contributions to the hobby are so great and I am thankful to you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
994 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Great content and clear explanation of what you have done for the hobby. Thank you for sharing.
It was also nice to see a "live" SCF member!
Excellent work!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this topic again so it is on the hot list. It deserves more attention.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 980Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05