Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Post Free Postal Card

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hy-brasil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yell at me if this was reported before.

Canada Post is providing one free prepaid postal card to each household.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...3275111.html

A typically Canadian touch. People in the US would be lining up at post offices over getting a design they didn't like, arguing that the PO is wasting money, etc., etc.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5963 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Post reports $153M loss in 2019 amid rising parcel competition

OTTAWA Canada Post recorded a loss before tax of $265 million in the third quarter of 2020

OTTAWA Canada Post recorded a loss before tax of $378 million in the second quarter of 2020
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice gesture I think. There are six designs, all bilingual - I received mine last week in the PO box.
Pillar Of The Community
7527 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot..Stupid question, did you ask for it or does it automatically get mailed to you.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
796 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are TWELVE designs, 6 English first, 6 French first.
They have the old "Flag over Building" indicia and the new "wired " maple leaf background.
One was sent to every postal address.
Quebec seems to be unilingual French.
Stationery collectors should be satisfied with one, inasmuch as the stamp design is the same, only the front changes.
(But that has not stopped Webb's from listing 100's and 100's of postcards all with the same indicia.)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy-basil, thanks for posting. It was posted earlier but buried in a non-specific forum ( http://goscf.com/t/37946&whichpage=52#685223 ).
This sort of thing deserves a post of its own!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone in town has a box at the local PO (no local delivery), so the CP employees filled them all last Tuesday. No idea if they had one design sent to the local PO, or a variety of them.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5048 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the one I got in the mail last week.

Pity that they used the image from a definitive issued 26 years ago
instead of coming up with a nice new design.
Must have been a rush job.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1118 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, that weird new Maple Leaf background has been in use on Canada Post stationary cards for several years now. I had a few friends save me theirs as well as checking the local postal counters at PO boxes and got a couple more left behind by persons not wanting them. After talking to postmasters apparently the P.offices did get a sorted variety, but not necessarily all. I now have all 6 english versions. About 13.5 million issued.

Edit: Removed the pictures of Postcards as they are in the link the original poster supplied.
Edited by No1philatelist - 03/08/2021 10:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the view of the address side. Well, the design is better than just plain lettering.

I take my second comment back. Some cheapskate Canadians are using the card as free shot to send their gripes about anything to the Prime Minister, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5048 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The indicia on the post card has a single tagging bar on the right side.
Colour is a washed out, pale yellow.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05