Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Correcting Incorrect Listings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
364 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
More of an informal poll on if others send an email/note to sellers who have incorrect (or just blatantly wrong) listing when you see them.

As a second query; do you ever follow up on the listings you have advised sellers to correct just to see if they've actually de-listed or amended their listing?

Not intended to be a scientific poll, per se; but just curious.

I follow up on most of these more out of curiosity and find that when I tell them they have a more valuable stamp, the listing tends to change; and when that is not the case; the listing seems to just sit there as advertised.

Freely admit my experiences are anecdotal; but just wondering what the rest of the stamp buying world experiences.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5962 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I do inform sellers and for the most part the items go unchanged as you have also experienced.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9151 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When Stamp Smarter first started I implemented a database for this issue. The process included contacting sellers and tracking their response; over time it included over 2000 contacts. In general terms about 65% of the sellers responded in a professional way, around 20% did not respond, and approximately 15% responded in a unprofessional way.
https://stampsmarter.org/BuyingOnli..._ViewDB.html
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31706 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! nice to see Eastern Rumelia, masquerading as Turkey Don,
I see that often.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1465 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   9:29 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I make it a habit to tell sellers when a non stamp item is incorrectly listed under stamps. I do it as a professional courtesy and 100% of the time the item category gets changed and I have gotten thanks. I also do this if I notice duplicate auction listings and again I've had positive results.

Folks have pointed out duplicate listing to me and I really appreciate it. There's nothing worse than auctioning off the sale item to 2 different bidders.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5962 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What vastly different experiences. Posner is very receptive and proactive. Other than that I have had a whole lot of sellers tell me things such as "the Swedish Tiger" says different or do a song and dance as to why they are correct and the stamp IS the more valuable one and I am an ignorant boob (agree if you must!). Don's database I would trust and I must have dealt with the 35%. LOL
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often send a message to sellers if their stamp identification is not correct. Sometimes, but not always, they will change the description or remove the listing.

I have also (rarely, since I am nearly perfect!) received notifications from others if one of my items is not correctly identified and DO change them if the person is correct. Sometimes they just say "it isn't that number", without providing a suggestion, but I am ALWAYS glad to get the input!
Edited by orstampman - 03/08/2021 10:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often contact sellers to point out misidentified stamps. The majority seem to be responsive. A small percentage will argue and then relent after I play the "APS Expertizer" card. Another small percentage will not respond at all, despite avowals in their listings to correct mistakes (right, "bison" man?). A larger minority will give a temporizing response like "we'll look into it." Most of the time this leads nowhere. Then there are the few who have set their accounts not to accept messages at all.
Edited by dudley - 03/09/2021 7:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, if I've been a previous customer or are doing business with them at the time, I've gotten a positive response in general. The response type does tell me who I want to deal with and who not to. I'd rather have a straightforward transaction than try to go in and try to pick off items from sellers with bad attitude. Those are also the folks with a lot of junk that's overpriced to start, where it's not worth the time or effort to dig through their stock.

I've been on the other end, too, where a customer pointed out an ID error. I took it out of stock and went back to the office to check. They were correct most of the time, even in a few cases where I was originally wrong. Duh. In some cases, I knew the stamp in question had been switched sometime, accidentally or otherwise.
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/09/2021 8:50 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
446 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive brought problemmatic listings to dealers' attention a few times.
Those few on Hip (three in the past year if I recall correctly) took corrective measures, more or less quickly, incl. Posner as Rogdcam mentions, and Volovski. Sometimes these are just typos, or a cert that does not match the stamp....

eBay, I think I suggested corrections of misidentification to two dealers, but encountered denial or silence, so there I gave up.
Edited by jleb1979 - 03/09/2021 9:08 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
364 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay seems to be tougher; but will attribute that (again only speaking from personal experience) to a greater population of sellers who really don't know much or care to learn as Hip tends to be by and large dealers who more easily recognize they may have mis-listed something.

Have seen the same with both the dealers you mentioned above Jleb, and both corrected quickly to their credit. Volovski even sent a thank you on several occasions. In fact, when at one point he sent two stamps that I'd purchased when I only purchased one and I informed him and returned the stamp that was sent accidentally, he sent me a $50 bill just for being honest with a thank you note. Thought that was pretty upstanding, albeit not necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For online listings (eBay, and others like it) I don't notify. Just too time consuming.

For an auction house that I do regular business? Yep, but it has to be a fairly blatant goof. I've never gotten a rude response, but then they probably like getting money from me. Oftentimes, it is something like a wrong ID - a USA #525 for a #536 (perf 11 vs 12-1/2), but sometimes I THINK I see something wrong with the stamp, like a crease or thin. Rather than say "I think this is mis-described..." I simply ask them to look it over and see if they see the same thing (in person) that I think I see in the photo - like I am interested in the lot. And, honestly, many time (most of the time?) there's nothing wrong with the stamp - the photo is funky.

Don - VERY interesting database you have (had) going there!! I recognize quite a few of the usual suspects. I find it interesting when a seller blocks you just because he doesn't like to be corrected.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 03/09/2021 9:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I say what I can when I am able. The response does vary a bit as to the type of venue for the sale as well as what the identified problem is. It is also influenced by the current relationship or respect, if any. Some on line sellers seem to be waiting for the uninformed buyer to come along who has no idea what they are missing. Others may take the act on the information if it helps them and sit on the information if it would lower the price.

Overall, folks have a wide range of motives and self interest; that really doesn't change just because you limit the folks to the ones who collect or sell stamps.

This forum has topic threads about sellers on eBay and their problematic behaviors.

Even the top firms can be a bit touchy when conflicting opinions arrive from different expertising services.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy - good post! I cannot save the world, but I can try to save my little (if you saw me, you would laugh at the word 'little' being associated with me) corner of it. If I see a pattern with a particular seller of poor lot descriptions, I make a mental note and move on. I will not be bidding with that seller in the future. If I see an isolated incident, and am interested in the lot, I may ask the seller for clarification. His response will also go into the 'gray bin' and will affect whether I want to do business with that person.

You are right - sometimes sellers purposely put up misleading descriptions in order to get some fool to bid. As we all know, a fool and his money are soon parted, and there are people on eBay that are there SPECIFICALLY to do that. Pointing out the obvious to someone in the know is simply going to get a nasty response. Look at Don's database (the link is a few posts up) and see how some sellers respond - there are plenty that leave the description as is, and sell the stamp in spite of being warned of problems with the description. eBay is DEFINITELY buyer beware. Be VERY aware.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay gets the most attention given its prominent place in the stamp business today; but, other on line and old school sources of material can and do have the same problems.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05