Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From Illinois!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 370Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JoeTonJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I am a law student from Illinois and I have recently decided to get into stamp collecting. I did my undergraduate degree in History and I love exploring history through items that have seen circulation within the public like stamps, coins, pins, and books.

I have always been interested in collecting stamps but have never taken the jump into learning about them or collecting them until recently.

I haven't narrowed a specific interest down as of yet in terms of 19th and Early 20th century stamps, but I am really interested in stamps celebrating legal history, space, and science. I kicked off my collection by buying a $20 500 stamp lot online, and I found a few interesting things that I did like that I think will lead me in the direction of finding a narrower collection interest. I really like the air mail stamps as well as the stamps that were marked with "Buy War Bonds." So those may be possible avenues for my future collection.

I look forward to learning from this forum!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Joe!

We share more than our avatars.

I am a retired attorney and life long stamp collector.

One of my recent projects, still in the works, is assembling material to exhibit regarding the First Amendment.

Most of my career was spent with US Dept of Justice - and if things go correctly, I will be changing my avatar to an Official Stamp from DOJ. I have not been on this site that long, but have found many folks willing to help with any topic related to philately.

My only question is "how do you have time to devote to any hobby as a law student?"

I remember how intense those three years of my life were. I graduated from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1976. Maybe you are third year? I recall the saying "the first year the scare you to death, the second year they work you to death and the third year they bore you to death."

Good luck, please share how your interests develop.

BobbyT
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2995 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! You started with a significant outlay!
Al
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome.

You've started out great. Clear title. Good introduction.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JoeTonJD,

Stamps tell their full story when left on the envelope they served. Look into collecting postal history. Many letters before stamps were invented in the stampless era have intreresting legal and business content.

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

Russ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Welcome!
Pillar Of The Community
3523 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard!

Most beginners exploring a new hobby latch onto everything they can get, then gradually find an area of true interest to concentrate on. You seem to be finding that area quickly.

You touched upon the "postal history" aspect of the cancels Here are two slogans to show the progression as WWII started from defense to war.

(Yes, I am biased toward the postal history side of the hobby.)
Edited by John Becker - 03/09/2021 10:29 am
United States
3 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTonJD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobbyT- - DOJ stamps sound very interesting as does a 1a exhibit! I hope you share photos on here when you have it completed.

A career in the DOJ would be a dream job for me, and I've been applying to anything I see with them.

To answer your question, I am a 2L and I really only have time because of covid. My school is still completely online via Zoom so we aren't getting the traditional classroom experience right now. I definite agree with the "work you to death" mantra for second year. I work in one of my law school's legal clinics as well as with a professor on a research project, and I have a clerkship at a local law firm on top of classes. It is a lot but I've managed to carve out a couple waking hours a week to do things I enjoy. If we were in a traditional classroom setting right now I'd definitely not have any free time. I still have nightmares abour Fall 1L year.
Edited by JoeTonJD - 03/09/2021 10:59 am
United States
3 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTonJD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

Those are really interesting, I'll definitely be on the look out for more cancels like that. Do you know if any of the other allied nations used similar cancels for their war bond programs?
Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome here! Have fun; you'll learn a lot here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

There have been many like you and will be many more. Some words of advice.
1. Try to make clear and specific thread titles. (most of us get better at it.) See #2
2. Use the search function link at the top of each page. The site uses the Google search funtion that you will see. It is wonderful. Many of your questions will have been asked and answered in the past. For your threads going forward, with good thread titles, they will be easier to find in the search at later dates.
Pillar Of The Community
3523 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The US and Canada are fairly rich for slogans. Here is a Canadian Bonds slogan:

WWII is particularly rich in interesting postal history. For one with a legal connection, here is a cover sent by Pvt Chester H. Sherwood in a War Crimes Investigation Detachment. Chester (1926-1997) enlisted January 4, 1945. If this cover could talk! I need to research it more.

And this one for a "International Military Tribunal" in Germany:
Edited by John Becker - 03/09/2021 11:57 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joe Ton JD g Great Britains first slogan cancellation, back in 1917 was an exhortation to buy war bonds. The very first style is rare and expensive, ther slightly later very similar cancellations are merely scarce. I guess but don't know that most nations in a war would have cancellations that asked people to support the war in some way. Canada had stamps with an additinal war tax surcharge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3840 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joe

You will find lots of good tips to get you started here.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05