Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Type Merson 2fr Scott's #126

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Valued Member

Romania
404 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cupram to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I searched and read old posts with this French stamp Scott # 126.
I could not figure out if it was forged or not and where I find the differences between the genuine and the forged.
What do you think about it?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi cupram
been searching for this,
don't know if it helps but here's a link I stumbled on
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=55602
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Romania
404 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi just_fella

I read the discussion you are referring to and it does not help me.
I quote a few paragraphs from the coppoweb site:
Timbre 5F
La seule valeur présente pour la France. On le trouve également pour les Bureaux Français de l'Etranger (BFE) avec les mêmes détails différentiateurs.
Seul le 5F est apparu sur le marché français. Comme le faussaire ignorait sans doute que le poinçon du 5 F différait des autres, tous les 1F, 2F, 5F des BFE comportent ces mêmes différences

Tranlate with google :
Stamp 5 F
The ONLY value present for France. It is also found for the French Offices Abroad (BFE) with the same differentiating details.
ONLY the 5F appeared on the French market. As the forger was probably unaware that the hallmark of the 5 F differed from the others, all the 1F, 2F, 5F of the BFE have these same differences.

My 2F stamp is for France (it is written Postes at the top)
In the examples in the coppoweb are 2F stamps from Levant, Zanzibar etc. stamps from French Foreign Offices. So the question remains:
2Franc for France has been forged and where can I find references?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The forged Mersons for French colonies & the French metropole have the same forgery characteristics.Only the upper and lower(Republique-Francaise) tablet with the colony name or for France metropole,'postes' changed.
The 5 fr Merson was used as model by Forbin (1912)which lead the way for forgeries of all the Merson types.The 5fr was expensive and at one point very difficult to find in post offices in France.There was a strong demand by collectors for used 5fr values.At the time forging mint stamps and reselling was severly punished under law.Forging a stamp and applying a forged cancel was not considered as an aggravated case under the penal code.When forgers examined the genuine Merson they noticed lines here and there which seemed as printing annomalies and they corrected them (photogravure).Those corrections were signatures left by the forgers.The lines and shading "annomalies " were in fact in the genuine matrice !
Forgeries (without a cancel)from the early period are rare.
There are other types of forgeries but they are more obvious to detect.
Looking at your pic your stamp looks genuine IMO.
Below a Forbin forgery:

e bay 15euros

delcampe 39,99 euros !

Edited by perf12 - 03/09/2021 3:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
758 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks perf12!

Edited by Just_fella - 03/09/2021 3:07 pm
Valued Member
Romania
404 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you perf12.
I found the same genuine stamp (expertized by Calves) but it is not too clear to make a detailed comparison.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05