Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Congo - 1.25-Franc Mangbetu Chief Stamp (Scott 148)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These two appear to be different ink and paper, but I don't see any sub-varieties in Scott. Does anyone know if any of the other catalogues list any varieties?

...could be just environmental or printing effects, but just curious!

Al
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just consulted two Belgium/Colonies specialty catalogues. Did not see any listing/entries for color (brun-rouge) varieties.

With that said, the COB also indicates the 1.25F stamp was available in booklets of eight stamps. While listed as the same color this COULD account for a minor color variety.

My guess: the environment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3083 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the 1931 printing (1,533,150 ex.)perfed 11 1/2 there was a 1939 printing for carnets with 16 stamps (2x8)and perfed 13 1/2 x 14.Could be that..
the first stamp is dated 1933 ,the second 3 ?
Edited by perf12 - 03/10/2021 1:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks!

I'm seeing a "5" on the right stamp, which could be half of "35", so maybe that one got a bit more sunlight than the other. #142 was a booklet issue apparently, Scott lists 142b as the full booklet, but no others.

Thanks again for checking!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2315 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since they are used, it's probably more the environment than anything else, especially with a lot of the reddish color lacking in the right stamp. That often tends to be a color washed out of stamp inks, depending on what chemicals were used to get that red brown color.

Still, I would still keep both stamps, mind you.

Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check these four SC# 154's out - they are supposed to be deep violet, but these range between that and almost a pure black.

Its almost like they used a mix of magenta and black ink and the magenta was water-soluble!

I notice that all my stamps from this country prior to 1927 were printed by the American Bank Note Co.; but everything later doesn't show a printer. Maybe Belgian Congo stamps during this period don't stand up well to soaking?

Good thing I've got 4 copies of this one!

Thanks again,

Al

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably also environment (sun) or soaking. Too bad, nice stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
971 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Congo was (is?) a particulary harsh environment for paper and ink, so I'd imagine any stamp used there might have been in heat, humidity, maybe even sunshine. Those can alter stamps. More nonsense has been spent in stamp catalogues over slight differences in stamp colors than just about anything else. Most of it is silly. Even at the printing company, small differences in ink colors often went unnoticed and might be considered unimportant. So I choose to consider them unimportant, although I sometimes add a blank page to show all the color varieties I've found -- even though none are more valuable. I'd guess these stamps just aged differently. Glad to see someone else collects the Congo!
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DrewM.

It does have some interesting classics.
I haven't seen a "Let's See Your Belgian Congo Stamps!" post on here - maybe I should start one? (I do have a #1!)
I picked-up a club auction lot a while back on old Scott International pages and I'm in the process of moving them to Steiner pages. They were all mounted with blue hinges that I had never seen before and they peel right off, even better than Dennison's. I have no idea who manufactured them, but they are fantastic and held-up way better than the Scott pages themselves!

Here's a page on Steiner with Hawid clear mounts:

Al
Edited by BreefmackUSA - 03/11/2021 12:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
645 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More nonsense has been spent in stamp catalogues over slight differences in stamp colors than just about anything else. Most of it is silly. Even at the printing company, small differences in ink colors often went unnoticed and might be considered unimportant.

So true. Problem is, the market places different values on different hues/shades. Then catalogues assign them different ID numbers, and we struggle to a) see the subtle differences and b) match them to the catalogue's color nomenclature wch, moreover, differs from one country to another. So frustrating!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 03/19/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typically the catalogs show shade differences only when the shades are distinct and related to a specific print run, although sometimes their definition of 'distinct' is a little difficult to fathom. :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05