Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Share Your Government-Related Covers!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 756Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/13/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ecostic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I have a few illustrated government-related covers that I wanted to share and I was wondering what other designs exist. Is there a reference book for this kind of cover?

Please feel free to share yours!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/13/2021   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know that there is a catalogue of material. Are you just interested in government related cachets? Or are you also interested in covers with government return addresses? Or addressed to governments? It could be a huge area unless you are limiting it to cacheted covers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6284 Posts
Posted 03/13/2021   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I gather through a web search, Harrisburgh, Pa. started out in 1791 with the town's name ending in "h", and it has never officially been changed. Dropping the "h" accelerated in the second half of the 19th century.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/13/2021 11:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested in early government covers like the ones I posted. I usually come across them by chance so I don't really know what to call them other than illustrated government covers. I was wondering where I can find out more about them.
Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do any of your covers have a printer name on the back side? Especially the first three, if they do, I would look at the references on civil war patriotics.

In the 1880-1910 era, covers illustrating county courthouses and state capitols are fairly common.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only the Pennsylvania ones have something on the back.

The Auditor General's Office cover has "Singerly & Myers Printers Harrisburg, Pa" on the back.

The Executive Chamber cover has "Lane S Hart State Printer" on the back.

I found the latter on Ancestry, but don't know where or if I am able to find info on what he printed.
Edited by Ecostic - 03/17/2021 12:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For an imprint like "Lane S. Hart State Printer", I would interpret this as the state periodically had bidding for a contractor to be the state printer for a modest period of years (very similar to the printing of embossed envelopes), and that Hart had the contract during this time period. Otherwise he likely had a general printing house, which would be researchable in newspapers, city directories, county histories, genealogy websites, etc. The Lane Hart you found would not be old enough in 1881 to be a match, but perhaps his father was.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6267 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have quite a few official government covers and State of Illinois various government offices with perfins.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
890 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecostic

Have an early cover printed by Singerly & Myers from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of the Secretary.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
719 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With Mississippi intended Coat of Arms as designed and accepted by the committee appointed by state legislation on February 7, 1894 for that purpose. The design was adopted by the legislature in 1894 but failed to be included in the next, 1906, Mississippi Code Revision. As a result of the oversight, the Mississippi Supreme Court in 2000 ruled the state had no official coat of arms. The oversight was corrected in 2001 and the original design was then officially adopted and the law published that time.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/10/2021 12:49 am
Learn More...
9750 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Ludeman has been gathering and documenting "Official Business" Envelopes For State and Local Governments in a series of monographs; they are published here
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/S...vCovers.html

Mike deserves a big 'thank you' from our hobby as this is just the latest in a long list of contributions that he has made in freely distributing knowledge to us all.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   06:31 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mike deserves a big 'thank you' from our hobby as this is just the latest in a long list of contributions that he has made in freely distributing knowledge to us all.
Don

Indeed - what a wonderful resource!

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2671 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting Penalty envelope from the Gualala, Calif. post office to an auto parts store in Napa, Calif. Nothing on the reverse. Trouble with the postal vehicle?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1311 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of those tantalizing covers that you wish still held its contents. Sent in 1880 from the Dept. of Interior Census Office to the Governor of Tennessee.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 756Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05