Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mini Review: Romania Catalogue

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 655Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
433 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Calstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently purchased the "Catalogul Timbrelor Postale Romanesti" specialized catalogue authored by Lazar Carjan and Mircea Gheorghe Manacu. Specifically Volume 1 which covers the period 1858 1947. Published in 2006, the catalogue features 352 pages in full color. The reproduction quality of the stamps is very good, and there are numerous detail drawings (color and B&W) as well.

The book measures 9.5 x 6.75 inches, and features coated paper throughout. Purchased the catalogue to support recent research specific to the 1893 98 "King Carol I" series (Scott 117 131, and subsequent varieties). And I am not disappointed. In contrast to Scott's 15-stamp set, I estimate the Carjan catalogue lists at least four times that; including numerous watermark, perforation, paper type, and share varieties. Although I have only had the catalogue a couple of days have also discovered variations in stamp size.

The Carjan is printed entirely in Romanian. There is no English content at all, not even in the introduction or listing legend. Fortunately discovered of few online resources which include basic philatelic terms, colors, etc.

Intentionally purchased the Carjan catalogue versus the "Catalogul Marcilor Postale Romanesti" (1974) authored by Silvio Dragomir which many Romanian philatelists consider to "the Bible" as I wish to be able to compare and contrast the two catalogues.

Purchase made through an eBay dealer in Romania. Very satisfied with price, product quality, and delivery time.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5599 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   2:06 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good. Am I right in thinking that a grounding in Italian and/or French enables you to have a reasonable shot at Romanian (recognising that philatelic terms are a bit of a horror in any language)?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Geoff.

Not in my opinion, but you may conclude to the contrary. Took six-week course in Romanian in college albeit many years ago. IMO Romanian was unlike any other language (Romance and Slavic) I had studied to that point. And conclude the same today.

While sentence structure may be similar to Romance languages, the vocabulary is very different. IOW, have yet to come across any cognates.

With that said believe the CPTR will prove to be a valued resource.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5599 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha. I must confess my chief experience lies in reading the labels of wine bottles!
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, de-cant tell you otherwise.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Jim, Super.
FYI, With Romanian, if I have a Catalogue page of condensed Info,
I'll scan the page, and translate the image via Yandex.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Romanian is a Romance language, not incredibly distant from phonetic Latin. As I recall, Romania is the preferred spelling, as opposed to Rumania or Roumania, specifically to link the modern country to Rome.
Edited by classic_paper - 03/31/2021 7:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
822 Posts
Posted 03/31/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several of my Romanian friends have told me they consider French the easiest language for them to learn, due to its similarities to their language.
Valued Member
Romania
412 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
gmot- I can confirm, I learned French very easily 50 years ago at school as opposed to English (I use google translate to answer).
calstamp, rod222-I can help you with the Romanian translation or with the correctness of the English translation.
Surely I know more English than you Romanian.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/01/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Cupram.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
640 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking to get a copy of the three-volume set of this catalog, if anyone has any leads on being able to buy a copy that will ship to the USA let me know. I checked eBay but the dealer who had it must not have any more copies.
APS #173088
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Specific to Romanian philatelic items:

Have been very satisfied with selection, pricing, and delivery offered by an eBay seller named
norocel42.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Due to many travels in Mexico and South America, I did have a fair grasp of Spanish. When I was in Romania in 2011 for some hiking and sight-seeing, I found I could read many of the street and business signs due to the background in Spanish.

I said "did have a fair grasp...." I haven't been in South America since 2016. Such knowledge of a second language can depart quickly if not used.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,
Translation of 1 page......barely a pass?
Could be helpful in certain cases.
Valued Member
Romania
412 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DJCMHOH
I think this is the catalog you are looking for.
It is a Romanian sales site (you have the address in the bar)
Only volume 1 at a selling price of 38 Euro.

Edited by cupram - 05/16/2021 04:38 am
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rod.

Thank you for posting the sample translation scan. Will try to run a few pages myself in a couple of weeks and advise you of the outcome.

Cheers.

Jim
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 655Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05